Rhino WIP Feature: PushPull Workflow

We’re getting wildly off topic from the PushPull workflow here, but as a linguist who is a self-taught programmer I’d like to mention that programming is just like using natural languages with the arguable benefit of math and programming languages in that they are more strict defined.

Writing a text on say a McNeel discourse forum for a reply is essentially programming - how do I encode my thoughts in such a way that I get the desired effect in the reader (human). This is pretty much programming - how do I encode algorithms and so on in such a way that I get the desired effect in the reader (computer).

2 Likes

I will pause and think about your comments. It looks like there’s a deeper meaning to it.

Interesting…

Thanks! I added your suggestions to the list

Say you have this:

Extruding this middle edge out with the gumball results in this:

Whereas with this hypothetical PushPull feature, it would look like this:

Other direction, with the gumball:

Whereas with this proposed feature:

Pushing all the way through itself:

Analog to pushingpulling a 3d body, actually, but with naked edges.

7 Likes

Thanks. This is helpful.

@Joshua_Kennedy What do you think?

Maybe there should be a simple toggle for “merging coplanar faces while / after extruding”? Sometimes you might need to keep an “internal edge” but most times you would prefer to get rid of them all.

2 Likes

Could the small white “bunnytail” on the gumball be set to autoinvert it’s Color in order to be more visible in rendered and arctic mode?

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. I opened an issue here.

2 Likes

That’s on the roadmap. The issue is open here.

2 Likes

hi @Joshua_Kennedy,

Nice work on this! I’m not sure who is the target user/workflow here but it seems to me this is limited only for planar faces, degree-1 cuts/openings, and sharp corners?

The UI seems like a good evolution of the same RHIno workflow people use today, but still feels too clicky and not allowing you to preview things enough before you commit.

I’d love to see this direct-modeling approach expanded to more form-exploration. and live previews. Having ghosted modes of intersections and booleans would help a lot, so you can preview a hole (like a window in your video) before committing to it

Take a look for example at the workflow here in Plasticity:

All the operations are the same as you would do in Rhino, but there’s a lot more previewing in booleans and chamfers/fillets with like push-pull. Also auto propagation of edge selections, etc.

Also take a look at the sink modeling: same approach of planar + simple degree-2 surfaces:

In case is not creat what I mean by previewing while modeling…

instead of doing this:

doing this:

EDIT: here’s a better video example by the developer showing more complex push-pull interactions:

Thx,

G

5 Likes

WoW, that’s some sweet filleting capability. Wondering if we could achieve something similar with similar ease in SubD.

Reminds me a lot to the direct modeling workflow used in Shapr3D, including the switching between fillet and chamfer based on the direction of pulling the mouse pointer/tablet pen.

Also, notice the great Loft tool in Shapr3D which performs much better than Rhino’s own “Loft” and actually supports guide curves in both directions (similar to “Network surface”, but way more accurate and simpler in control point density).

1 Like

I agree completely. I think there’s a lot of work that can be done improving previews and helping users visualize results before committing to it. I’ve recently picked off RH-2777 to add previews to Fillet and FilletEdge and tuned up previews in Offset since I was poking around in there anyway. There’s a lot to do in this regard.

This is a good idea. I opened an issue here.

5 Likes

Both using the parasolid kernel.
Go figure…

1 Like

Needless to mention the age-old lack of fillets in Rhino: it will never have what Parasolid has been doing for a long time. They are two different worlds.
Not even Rhino v.50 development could fix what a solid parametric engine currently does. Let’s put our souls in peace. No need to question or compare…

From Rhino 4 to Rhino 8 the fillet speech has undergone small tweaks and improvements in small steps, nothing revolutionary, but just a very normal evolution.
Rhino is for something else…

Even if he could only do a push and pull like the one in Sketchup (very fast and comfortable) it would be a miracle!

The “PushPull” command is not listed in the “New in V8” tabbar.
Also, there is no Help > Command help menu. It’s accessible through the “Properties” panel, though.

Hi all, I didn’t mean to derail this discussing into fillets nostalgia. They were posted as good examples of push-pull + live preview behaviors.

Re: fillets in Parasolid licensees; Yes they work great in dumb af geometry. But they also fail miserably in anything more complex, almost as often as Rhino does.

Also as a professional industrial designer, I can tell you that you are using fillets for anything more that breaking a sharp edge of 0.3mm radios, you are making ugly topology, and you are already replaceable by a kid with this ‘kidware cad’ working for an offshore supplier that gives the design ‘for free’ with manufacturing contracts.

Following the Italian example of Plasticity, I’ll leave you with this:

And business context: if Rhino went away and we had to do our work in Solidworks, Sharpr, and even this new kid Plasticity, I think I would change careers.

So let’s work in this relationship. Let’s work with what we got. It’s worth it. It’s good business too, for everyone.

G

7 Likes

This is a great improvement and I can see with the added edge request, going in the right direction! Nice work!

Now with this improved quick modeling, we really need an interactive texture mapping tool that works with sub objects like all the faces created here! That way we can quickly assign DIFFERENT materials to the different surfaces created, with DIFFERENT mapping on each as desired. This is hugely important to fast workflow in conceptual architecture and interiors. I know it sounds like a broken record, but Sketchup does this great, and so does FormZ for that matter.

I know sub-object texture mapping was added in the WIP and kind of works using the clunky channels(link), but this is a real hassle and keeps us from using Rhino as our primary 3D application. Is there anything in the works to add an much easier interactive texture mapping where channels are kind of hidden or handled automatically like SketchUp and FormZ do? I don’t care what channels there are, I only care how it looks. Why mess with a palette of settings when you can do it interactively on the model?

1 Like

What do you mean with this? Toggle the gumball on/ off or is there something new that was added that I am missing due to using a custom shortcut on F4?