Rhino WIP Feature: PushPull Workflow

Z snap is amazing, why has this not been added before though? Seems obvious it would be useful. No more jumping to front or side view will make things much more efficient.

I will keep updating this thread in a concise manner.

Itā€™s like this: today Iā€™ll say one thing, and tomorrow Iā€™ll revise something else since it requires some thought.

@bobmcneel @Joshua_Kennedy

Topic sentence:

Itā€™s about usability (ease of use). In other words, by asking questions such as ā€œIs it intuitive from one step to the next for simple operations like extrusion?ā€ ā€œWhat other software has benefits and drawbacks, and how can we enhance=reduce the operations?ā€ >>> Donā€™t just look at the disadvantages or advantages of a thing; approach problems from multiple perspectives by asking critical questions.

Supporting ideas:

Sketchup is superior to Rhino in constructing boxes and performing other elementary tasks. In the early stages, designers create simple geometric shapes such as a sphere, box, or cone, similar to sub-D modeling. I believe this concept is applicable to every designer. SketchUp excels in this regard.

To extrude in Rhino, I must click the ā€œextrusion iconā€ on the gumball; here, users must be cautious about ā€œwhereā€ and ā€œhowā€ to precisely select a geometry, and the extrusion ball is so small that I sometimes assume it was not accidentally clicked. Due to the above factors, I do not use gumball extrusion frequently. To create the solid, I simply use the extrude command (solid or closed = yes). Without custom aliases in Rhino, I will have to click/press the mouse/keyboard more frequently than SU necessitates.

Quantitatively and qualitatively, Rhino requires more steps than SU.

Rhino: 1 ) Extrude 2) Solid=Yes 3) If I try to select a face on a box, I will need to Ctrl+Shift+CLICK the surface.

V.S.

SketchUp: 1) Press a shortcut key, which remains until the user presses the spacebar to quit the command. 2) Extrude 3) Upon picking a face on a box, as the mouse cursor moves to the desired location, the face is automatically selected and the extrusion procedure continues. Itā€™s a simple one-handed and one-click operation. Moreover, you will only need a finger to complete this extrusion operation.

Most buildings are merely extrusions; letā€™s keep that in mind. Therefore, users will like how SU operates.

Another thing: Iā€™m approaching this problem from the bottom up, not the top down, as I donā€™t have a holistic view on everything. In fact, it takes time to think thoroughly, as I believe thereā€™s some impermeability between operational functions in Rhino.

Another example:

Two adjacent rectangular planerSrf on the same XY plane.

In Rhino, users have to 1) select both faces, 2) join, 3) mergeSrf, and 4) extrude.

V.S.

In Sketchup, 1) erase (basically delete the shared edge line), and 2) extrude

Download the trial version of SU and compare it.

Imagine we select a surface plane and extrude it along its normal path. Users must ā€œselectā€ a geometry in Rhino by pressing Ctrl+Shift and clicking it, then perform the desired operations. It requires the ā€œkeyboard pressingā€ step. Sketchup does not; therefore, it is a true push-pull operation. Users will notice the difference. In Sketchup, users can create models with one hand, if that makes sense.

Being a ā€œRhino Pianist,ā€ I choose SU for constructing simple or non-curved models. I used to dislike SU for one reason: I dislike clicking on software, but I guess itā€™s unavoidable for most software. So, I accept it physically.

This thing is related to a variety of different modeling-related questions, issues, and approaches. Letā€™s pause here and finish what we can on this subject.

My concept is analogous to a point in Rhino: it will eventually be connected to other points, so programmers should first complete this section and then combine the other points that are linked to it.

Placing numerous thoughts on a large bulket and then organizing them by category.

1 Like

Any diagrams? SU and Rhino can both extrude edges. In fact, itā€™s a good point. For edgeExtrusion, we need gumballExtrusion.

Regarding snapping Z, Y, and X axes, I believe that rhino snapping and addGuide are too sensitive.

To ā€œlockā€ an axis, Iā€™d rather use Ctrl+Shift or simply press the Shift key. This function is often used in other software, and I guess thereā€™s a reason for it.

BTW, itā€™s a minor problem for nowā€¦

Change the sensitivity:

Rhino has had Shift key to lock to Cplane x and y axis since at least Rhino 4, and Rhino 8 WIP is adding the Cplane z axis. Rhinoceros Help? Note that if Ortho mode is off then holding down the shift key toggles on the locking to axis, while if Ortho mode is on then holding down the shift key toggles off the locking to axis. And the user can specifiy other than 90 degree angles to snap to.

Change the size of the extrusion ball:

The discussion about revisions in Rhino 8 to the Rhino interface started two years ago. There have been frequent references to Sketch Up though opinions are generally mixed. Many of the participants making suggestions and stating preferences are active architects. It seems the voices of architects are the most frequently heard, and sometimes the loudest.

1 Like

Have you tried the Fin command and selecting an edge as the curve? It does require also selecting the base surface but that allows it to work with non-naked edges also.

Iā€™m aware that this option exists, but I have never utilized it. In fact, these settings once ruined modeling by inverting the viewport or model. When in a rhinoMood, I will immerse myself in these settings.

Question: Whatā€™s the snap radius and the other option shown in the image?

About Gumball, a bug log indicates that Gumball settings are ineffective when users export (and thus import) Rhino options. I recently knew that Rhino 8 has exporting (what a sweet!) workspace feature.

Question: Does ā€œsave workplace/spaceā€ only apply to the UI or to all settings combined?

Should be. Like Corbu, a great architect whoā€™s also known as the father of industrial design should talk out loud. >>> Itā€™s true, but Iā€™m making a joke here.

BTW, @PeterFotiadis Should we advocate ā€œtowards new architectureā€? Heā€¦Heā€¦

I opened an account due to your influence, Peter.
__

Anyway,

Actually, I have another question that is unrelated to Rhino. How do you solve this math problem? Whatā€™s your first step? - -(16x3 +3) / 4 + (10 x 4+1)/4ā€¦ Is this the way to solve it? If not, whatā€™s another way?

Thanks for the information. I was unaware of that. Learning Rhino is like learning the Bible. It never ends. >>> Honestly, I havenā€™t looked into most of Rhino 7ā€™s new features.

Please always forgive me and correct me if I make errors.

@Joshua_Kennedy

It could be because Rhino is too snappy. You can look at the first demoVid, which shows how to make a door and two windows. The human brain reacts to perceived things in 0.0000001n (n = 0.00000001) seconds and transmits such signals to the brain. This indicates that the snapping snappy? feature and other comparable actions need to be reconsidered.

I can also sense the pressure on the other planetā€™s developers and programmers.

Take a lookā€¦

hint: The reason is that those who studied architecture were often intellectually tortured in school. Heā€¦Heā€¦

1 Like

@Joshua_Kennedy

Regarding the push-pull feature, itā€™s fine if Rhino recognizes polyline geometry as surfaces, meaning users can use push-pull Gumball without problems.

Well, I would simply type -16.75+10.25-1.5 at the command line (in a command where it is asking for a numerical value).

I donā€™t know how you would do this by typing actual fractions at the command line, thank goodness I no longer have to work in a system where that is necessary. When I worked as a modelmaker in the US a long, long time ago, I had all the decimal equivalents in 1/32" increments in my head. That useless knowledge has (fortunately or unfortunately) now been replaced by other equally useless knowledgeā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What do you exactly do? This sounds interesting.

This:

2 Likes

I just had my first Real Work Task to create an energy model for a building that we are thinking of upgrading to be more daylight-efficient. I decided to fully implement the PushPull Workflow and it makes things much easier!

Few additional commands that I found myself using in addition to the Gumball, PushPull and inset are:
1- _ExtractSrf & _ExtractSrf with Copy Toggle on.
2- MakeHole.
3- Capholes

I think these above tools and the others mentioned in my toolbar suggestions works really nicely with this workflow.

3 Likes

We should rather go after things that matter.

What a rhino-fanatic! Unfortunately, the math question had nothing to do with Rhino, or at least that was not my intention. I asked this math question because I discovered an alternative visual way for solving this type of math problem with minimal mental calculations. Because we came from different educational backgrounds, I was curious if anyone had already learned or known of a new method. In fact, my math teacher in middle school taught me the way you solve the problem or another way I mentioned.

The education system is a disaster, and as I grow older, I realize this.

Youā€™re also a humble individual. Thatā€™s an admirable character trait.)

Ughā€¦ Mr. Lord Peter, youā€™re unique in an indescribable way. BTW, heā€™s been depressed by the AEC industry, but I donā€™t know for how many years. Heā€¦Heā€¦

ā€œBe positiveā€ or any encouragement isnā€™t for him. Heā€™s like Arthur Schopenhauer whoā€™s known as the darkest philosopher in history.

The only thing that any philosopher needs is a proper wave session ā€¦ then ā€¦ if heā€™s still in one piece (unlikely - but hope dies last) ā€¦ well ā€¦ anything would look bright.

BTW: AEC Industry is kinda like Ferrari: lost the plot years ago (after the immortal F40 to be exact).

2 Likes

Guess thatā€™s an accurate descriptionā€¦

Oh, OK, I maybe read too fast and assumed it was a how to do this in Rhino - especially as this type of operation with fractions is difficult to do on the command line (maybe I just donā€™t know how).

So as a different way to look at your sum, I might add the whole numbers first and then the fractions -

-16+10-1=-7
-3/4+1/4-1/2=-1
Total: -8

But those are easy fractions, more difficult to do in that way might be:

-16 5/64 + 10 9/32 -1 11/16
Just looking at those makes my head spin.

Maybe there are better ways, but Iā€™m old school, never learned any of them fancy newfangled math methods. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Helvetosaur

What a surprise! This is precisely how I solve problems of this kind. >>> (laughing at my folly for the day) I thought Iā€™d invented a new method. BTW, youā€™re smart.

Question: How is math related to programming languages linguistically?

@PeterFotiadis

If I asked Mr. Peter this type of question, heā€™d say, ā€œTequlila, Amigoland, Oceanwave, Farerri, AEC, blah blah blah, with some metaphysical and/or metaphorical images.ā€ Ughā€¦ Can we NOT !@#@$%

Mr. Peter, this industry needs you and us. Letā€™s offer them a big wave with Farerriā€™s horsepower.

Logiciansā€¦Ugh

hold ctrl and click on point you will get Z axis snap