Rhino WIP Crashing? Do you get the crash report dialog?

We’ve been monitoring crashes the entire time. I guess this is what worries me more than anything else. Are you seeing crashes but not seeing the crash reporting dialog? If so, we’re not finding about the crashes and can’t fix them.

In this case, we need to struggle through the process of reproducing the crash bug and fixing it.

So… if you’re seeing crashes in the Rhino 8 WIP, and not seeing the crash reporting dialog, please post here.

2 Likes

Hi Brian, like I said before: I’m not using V8 much at all, but when I do check on something new I’ve seen crashes where Rhino just vanishes, no sad rhino with pierced balloon dialog. Or it just hangs and I have to manually kill the task. In those cases, is any way to report anything? Like a temp file or something?

G

1 Like

Yes, absolutely - tell me what you’re doing. Try to discern any patterns in what you’re doing. Are you in a particular display mode? Using a particular set of features? Did you just wake your computer up?

Back in the olden days this was the only way we could find and fix crashes. Now, we have tools that help us with all the easy and not-so easy ones. But the ones that we can’t even see, well, those are darn hard.

1 Like

Got it. Yes I do remember those good ol’ days. Remember trying to get v3 out, that was somethin’.

If you guys can get the custom workspace stuff to behave a bit, and not lose our tools/icons I’ll use and test some more. In the meantime, with default life I’m just too useless and slow. Can’t handle it. It’s not you, it’s me.

G

Yes, I had a crash today with the WIP with no crash report option. I was in shaded mode, trying to use multiplematches on the surface in the attached geometry (before I realized that the edges I was trying to match to were garbage) when the crash happened. But I can’t get it to do it again.

crashcorner.3dm (291.5 KB)

I had a crash earlier today when I was using extendsrf on the attached file. Rhino created a crash .txt file on my desktop, but didn’t tell me that it had created it and didn’t ask me to send it in (maybe it gets sent automatically?)

crash while extending.3dm (201.0 KB)
RhinoDotNetCrash.txt (4.8 KB)

Thanks, let’s keep gathering information about this.

These were likely from older crashes; if the crash reporting dialog doesn’t appear it means that Rhino didn’t notice that it crashed. Darn.

Crashed just now with no dialog. I was not doing anything except looking through tool buttons to find something when it crashed. I’ll attach the file it put on the desktop.

RhinoDotNetCrash.txt (1019 Bytes)

Oh, I can repeat that crash. I just click a fly-out toolbar, hover over a few tools until the tooltip for each pops up, then click in the viewport to close the toolbar, then click another fly-out toolbar and hover over a tool. Instead of a tooltip, Rhino crashes. I’ve done it 5 times in a row. Here’s a link to a terrible video.

1 Like

If we can take that comment literally (no crash report dialog == McNeel doesn’t know about the crash), then I have a suggestion for copies belonging to people who are opt-in on the monitoring feature:

Upon install, create an application data directory for the following.

Upon opening Rhino, create a random uniquely named file and leave it open and write locked. Maybe put something basic like the version+build number in it and flush that to disk.
Also upon opening Rhino, look to see if any of these files exist and are not write-locked (implying that Rhino did not exit in a tidy way whether by crash or terminating the process or etc.). If you find one, call home then delete it and proceed with startup.
Upon closing Rhino or hitting the crash report, delete the file.

yes, I see this, I can repeat

This seems a reliable way to crash: Flyout, hover until a tooltip appears, alt-tab to a different app, and alt-tab back to Rhino, it will vanish.
RH-76872 Rhino Crashes With Flyout toolbar + Tooltip

Edit: seems fixed in current build of the day

3 Likes

@phcreates and @sach it would be great if you could verify that this crash has actually been fixed on your machine. If you get a chance, could you try our internal build from today and test?

Thanks, we really want to get this one fixed for good.

https://files.mcneel.com/dujour/exe/20230907/rhino_en-us_8.0.23250.06305.exe

@stevebaer

I will give it a spin. Thanks.

Seems fixed here in the build from today.

1 Like

Coming from another Thread as I’m discussing with @Trav about the tooltip crash.
Rhino WIP Repeating Crashes with Isolate objects - Serengeti (Rhino WIP) - McNeel Forum
I just tested the internal building and it seems that the tooltip crash issue is resolved, I’m planning on screen capturing my modeling exercise to report anything new that I might encounter.

Thank you @stevebaer

2 Likes

Thank you so much for testing. This is great news.

More good news is that we also figured out how to trap and get error reports for crashes like this one. The next build, which we are considering releasing tomorrow, will have the fix for this specific crash, and better crash reporting enabled.

3 Likes

Here is a fresh crash report. It seems to be a UI related, I was working on a rendered display mode and I just triggered my heavy toolbar.
RhinoDotNetCrash.txt (6.2 KB)

Attached is my personal popup toolbar for additional diagnosis (probably not needed)
Tay.rui (84.0 KB)

13 posts were split to a new topic: Rhino WIP Blue Screen

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: SubDDisplayToggle changes display mode to wireframe