Rhino turns off my computer

Dear friends,
I have a question, every time I start Rhino, after a quarter or twenty minutes, the computer shuts down completely. I uninstalled it several times and reinstalled it, I uninstalled all the plugins, it still turned off the computer, I tried different versions of Rhino, but again the problem was not solved. I finally had to change Windows, it was good for a while, but now it’s back to normal and it turns off the system. Does anyone know where the problem is?

Hi - that sounds a bit like a over-heating problem with your machine. I would look for tools that let you monitor the temperature of your hardware.
-wim

2 Likes

I think U R right cuz when I use Rhino it is like the laptop wants to melt. the temp is so high. my laptop model is acer v 15 nitro with Nvidia GTX 1060 and 16 GB Ram and I7 7700-HQ.
if it is due to the temp, how can I control it? why it happens?

ps: I also tested the laptop with games like Metro 2033 and last light( these are high end games) and I didnt have any problems, It is not normal I guess :frowning:

Which version of Rhino are you using?

If you are using Rhino 6 then run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and post the results here.

Does you computer turn off if you start Rhino and do not do anything in Rhino?

What are you doing in Rhino? Are you rendering, running a script, using Grasshopper, ???

1 Like

I had that happen because my cpu coolers were a bit dusty… Compressed air is good but dont do it when machine is on - there is humidity that might go with the air. You want to wait a little until it evaporates after.

1 Like

Rhino 6.23, I have tried several Rhino version,
Under any circumstances, it turns off, whether I get a rendering or open and work with Grasshopper, or just open the Rhino itself and do nothing.

system info.txt (2.4 KB)

your video drivers are quite old but about the temperature you can search for undervoting the CPU. I had the same problem with an Acer Predator until I set the voltage to 85% instead of 100% in the windows power management.

1 Like

Hello - as @DiegoKrause says - the driver for the NVidia is very old, as these things go - please get the latest driver from the NVidia website and install that - any better?

-Pascal

1 Like

Guys sorry for delay and thank you for your tips,
I updated the GPU driver to the last and it affects the system in the way that: when I opened Rhino temp of GPU went on 94 and then came back on about 80 degree, but when I opened Grasshopper and again it went on 90-98 but now the system wont shut down. I’m affects my GPU and damage it, the weird thing for me is that CPU temp is normal and okay max on 60-70 but about GPU its not stable at all only when I open Rhino!!!

Hello - please open Options > Plug-ins page and disable the Evolute & Enscape plug-ins and then close and restart Rhino - does that change anything?

-Pascal

1 Like

unfortunately It didn’t work :frowning:

No dust clogging your fans?
Your fans running? CPU fan running full speed?

All drivers updated i suppose.
If it still crashes,
Make a backup, re-install machine. Restore backup.
Clean slate. Fastest way to get rid of crap…

1 Like

Google ‘acer v 15 nitro overheating’. It seems to be a common issue, but solutions are proposed.

1 Like

yes and from the official forum and support they says “it’s normal”…
it seems several Acer models have that issue.
I found it by the hard way … after buying the laptop haha
A common suggestion I read a lot is to replace the thermal paste on both CPU and GPU. using something like Grizzly Kryonaut changing thermal Pads too

1 Like

yeah, there is nothing with the fans. I changed even the windows and reinstalled it but nothing. and today again it turns off when I was working with Rhino. :expressionless:

I guess the only option is that one. But I have to find this Grizzly and replace it with the old one? thats it?

I have to make this some day but for now, with the undervolting I’m ok :

1 Like

unfortunately I don’t have access to this item, the best thermal paste I could get is DeepCool Z9 Thermal Grease( I had the chance that I could find it with more than triple the worldwide price here), now I’m in Iran , if it wouldn’t work well for me I will go back in Italy and will buy the one u suggested.
about replacing the thermal paste could u plz help me to find the closest tutorial to my laptop model, I don’t wanna screw :sweat_smile:

These are all I found
ZALMAN ZM-STG2 CPU GPU Thermal Compound Grease (lowest price)

Cooler Master MasterGel Pro Thermal Paste (high price)

artctic mx-4 (middle price)

DeepCool Z9 Thermal Grease (little bit cheaper than cooler master)

So which one is better?

I decided to go for artctic mx-4, hope it works well.