Rhino slow saving

I disabled VRay and restarted Rhino, but no difference.

So far, I am not hearing, here, that this is unexpectedly long for a 1GB ish file.

-Pascal

Seems a bit long to me.

As a test I just saved a 1.5Gb file to my D: drive - a standard mechanical disk, not an SSD - and it took45 seconds in V6. Where I saved it is not referenced by Dropbox.

As a reference, I tested it in V5 as well. Two minutes.

That coincides with my previous experience, that V6 was faster than V5 saving locally. I was having problems saving to the network, in that V6 was 3x slower IIRC. However, I am no longer connected to that network to test now…

Hi Mitch - thanks for testing - what you report is more like what I’d expect as well - but here it is as slow or slower than reported by @hayden. Still poking…

FWIW, just to get an idea, I saved from Another Software, a file of about 310 MB and it took at least as long, here, as Rhino saving the 1GB file. So I wonder if it has to do with specific machines, since @Helvetosaur 's save was so much quicker.

-Pascal

You used Another Software??? :scream:

Nothing really special about this one, 5 years old, something like Gen 4 i7, the disk is a Western digital 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb and according to the mfr. it can write up to 600Mbs… so theoretically at least, it could allow a save of 1.5Gb in 20 seconds…

Hi Mitch - thanks - it looks like there is some ‘stuff’ to look into on my system - perhaps others on this thread as well. Getting some more testing here.

@Helvetosaur, @hayden - at the moment it seems to be file related - not the size but something else in the file. Some very large files save just fine.

-Pascal

Hmm, didn’t someone report once that meshes saved slower or something?

Yes very possibly - the thing we’re finding here, fooling around all afternoon is that it’s more than just mesh or not mesh - some meshes are a lot slower than others - basic geometry being the same. Something else, right now unknown, is throwing sand in the gears.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-52193

@hayden, @deurton, Do your files contain a large number of meshes? Say from SketchUp, maybe?

-Pascal

Hey Pascal - ran into what I think is the same problem on a project that I’m working on currently. Saves went from being a 3-5 minute affair to 40+ minutes (file is 700+ MB). After some searching, I found a mesh that was showing degenerate n-gons and thought that it might be the culprit. I culled degenerate faces from the mesh in question and saves returned to their 3-5 minute length.

I was fortunate in that I had an idea of which specific objects in my file could be problematic. If there was a way to select objects with degenerate n-gons (presuming that’s in fact the issue), it might help to troubleshoot problematic files.

2 Likes

Hi - thanks for that additional information!
Do you still have the mesh with degenerate n-gons? If so, could you post it?
Also, was that mesh created by Rhino or was it imported from another source?

Hey Wim - see attached file here. I believe that the mesh was created in SketchUp.
DegenerateN-GonMesh.3dm (3.5 MB)

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

The file contains a lot of meshes and blocks. Meshes (plants, people, etc.) were imported, blocks were all created within Rhino. I guess I need to choose between an extremely large file or a slow saving one. Thanks guys for looking into this.

Where are we at with this dilemma?

I’ve been dealing with colleagues struggling with the same issues for over 5 years now.

They usually had the problem with version 6, so they just stopped using it.

But now they’re having issues in version 5. hof.

I’ll be looking into this further, and might be able to help zero in on the culprits.

Still looking further. Not even sure where I’m at rn, is this a rhino chat room haha.

anyways so is it ‘degenerative n-gon meshes’? or what…

i’m guessing that system info command isn’t in v5?

After I was able to purge nested HAAS machine block instances from my file, I’m able to save 1min faster while saving as new file, which before was about 500% slower than a regular save.

after the exploding the block and purging nested blocks, i also refreshed shade – just out of habit.

I think this was a helpful lesson here to improve saving speeds.

Hi there,

I have been working on Rhino for the past few weeks and observed that the saves take considerable amount of time (few seconds to more than 15 minutes) . The the current file I am trying to work is around 200 MB.

Please find the specifications below :
Rhino 7 SR3 2021-2-22 (Rhino 7, 7.3.21053.23031, Git hash:master @ f8a40388712d9cf7edc68910e0415427bdefc64a)
License type: Evaluation, build 2021-02-22
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2021-05-31

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.8Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [22% battery remaining] ~18 minutes left

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-28-2019 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce MX230 (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 2-23-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.72
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-23-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6172
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.3.21053.23031
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.3.21053.23031
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.3.21053.23031
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.3.21053.23031
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.3.21053.23031
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”

Can you please suggest if I need to make any changes .
I have tried using the commands above , but that is not helping currently.
I even tried to do a clean install of Rhino on a different machine having 16 GB RAM , but the outcome is same.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hello - you can try turning off file compression in Options > Advanced:

-Pascal

3 Likes

Hi Pascal,

This worked a lot. The save time has reduced to ~30 s . Thanks a lot for the suggestion .

Regards.

Hi,

I am facing the same problem as above. I am using Rhino 5 with the same configuration. Can you please suggest if there is any equivalent property in Rhino 5.