Rhino slow saving

Hello - I’m afraid there is not an equivalent in V5, that I know of.

-Pascal

1 Like

this helped INCREDIBLY. Reduced from 1 minute to 3 seconds. I pity all the time waiting for savings just for the sake of megabytes. damn that program.

2 Likes

in 2021, i still have this problem. 100mb file saves in seconds locally, can copy to server in seconds, but if I save directly to the server it takes several minuttes. Something is off. Just tried to disable compression, which made it even slower…

@pascal any news on this issue in V7/8?

1 Like

Hi Mathias -
Are you using the WriteLocalTempFileWhenSaving=True option in the advanced settings?
-wim

2 Likes

If you’re issue is related to network saving, there’s a separate thread for that:

1 Like

This was false.

Thank you, now save times went from 5 mins to 10-15 secs with compression and 8-10 secs without!

2 Likes

Any chance of getting access to this through RhinoCommon at some point?

1 Like

The closest i got was this enum. but where is it used…

This worked for me. Reduced save time from about 4 minutes to 1.5. (also doubled the file size). But totally worth it.

1 Like

@sonderskovmathias Yeah was hoping it would be added to the ApplicationSettings part like the PackageManagerSettings is.

@wim any chance of this or does it have to be done through the AdvancedSetting Enumeration?

Edit: Found a way to access it through the PersistentSettings Class:

Rhino.PersistentSettings RhFilesettings = Rhino.PlugIns.PlugIn.GetPluginSettings(Rhino.RhinoApp.CurrentRhinoId, false).GetChild("Options").GetChild("FileSettings");
            if(!RhFilesettings.GetBool("WriteLocalTempFileWhenSaving"))
            {
                RhFilesettings.SetBool("WriteLocalTempFileWhenSaving", true);
                Rhino.PlugIns.PlugIn.SavePluginSettings(Rhino.RhinoApp.CurrentRhinoId);
            }
2 Likes

This worked from me, from 1 min to 5 sec

1 Like

Rhino.Options.FileSettings.WriteLocalTempFileWhenSaving
Worked for us, we went from 84Mbps upload to the DFS, to 800Mbps uploads.
Thanks!

1 Like

I stumbled on reviewing this matter again 2+ yrs later.

What kind of sorcery is this :face_with_monocle: :thinking:

Probably why V5 didn’t have this problem. And maybe the new versions shouldn’t be set on ‘compression’ by default?

It took me several years to even come across this information.

Almost seems like I’ve tried this before…

I guess I better convey this setting to my boss and see if he throws anything rofl.

This may very well be the problem he’s had for many years now.

hi do you set it from true to false or the other way around?

1 Like

this how mine is:

all false. compressing every time by default is just silly. wasted so much time for yrs cause it’s so hidden in the GUI also. Rhino’s GUI is like scrambled eggs.

1 Like

Compression is silly if you have plenty of storage space.
Compression is critical if you’re short on storage space.

2 Likes

storage space is really cheap these days.

1 Like

True now certainly but it didn’t used to be.
Neither you or I get to impose that on other Rhino users.

the imposition by Rhino, upon users of said compression time consumption began in V6? or V7?

‘it didn’t used to be’ – how many users had to adapt since this new default change… how many users know why the newer versions are taking longer to save than the older versions…

I know users that were using V5 still in recent times, cause of all the time they wasted trying to save files in V6. They’d swear it was always slower. “why would the new version be slower?” they’d always ask.

they’d also say, ‘yeah i called Rhino on the phone and they said the new stuff is faster’.

but it wasn’t.

so, they refused to use the newer versions.

it wasn’t until I came across this said ‘compression’ a second time, until I realized what the actual culprit for their frustration has been all these yrs – it seems I came across this once before.

I still try to get these users to use the newer versions for many other reasons.

And if they ever encounter this problem in the future, I’ll know exactly what to tell them.

I’ll say ‘Rhino decided to compress your files everytime by default, starting in V6, V7…, so now you have to dig for it in the GUI and turn it off in the (advanced options) section search compression’ etc…

At least now some of us know why the new versions have been slower (at saving) all this time – by ‘default’.

2 Likes

We switched Rhino.Options.FileSettings.WriteLocalTempFileWhenSaving to true