Rhino keymap for Blender (2.80)

Hi @nathanletwory,

I have a problem with selection:

Do you have an idea where to tweak the Rhino keymap?

Thanks

Mike

@Michael_Meyer

Hmm, Not sure. I have the Select Box mode by default enabled, The first mode is weird with my current map, so I just donā€™t used that. With that first mode I can only click and drag to change the 3d cursor. I have to revisit the keymap anyway, since there were some bigger changes to the code that broke the ā€˜oldā€™ Rhino keymap.

How old is the 2.80 build youā€™re working with?

I have installed the current version from today. Perhaps it is better to wait until 2.8 will be released.

From tool perspective Blender 2.8 is pretty stable, and at least very capable - the latest open movie Spring attests to that. But internally things still shift a bit :slight_smile:

I just stop procrastinating and just fix up the keymap. It shouldnā€™t be too hard. Iā€™m just lazy :wink:

1 Like

I have made some changes to the keymap and UI. I have also included a file you can load up in Blender, then use File > Save Startup File. It gives a 4-view setup as default.

I did not find a way to change the default box selection part other than using the startup file, which I added to the repository.

1 Like

Hi @nathanletwory,

the new map is great, thank you. I have some improvment wishes:

• the new context menus are gone (for object mode, edit mode(vertex, edge, face), sculpt mode,ā€¦ ). The middle mouse is empty now, please move the context menus to the middle mouse.

• 2D views pan with right mouse would be very nice (uv editor, image editor, shader editor, animation (dope sheet, graph editor,ā€¦) ).

Thanks

Michael

Most of the context menus are now under CtrlAltRMB.

What do you expect under MMB?

edit: nvm, I read better the second time, I see now you proposed context menus under MMB

left mouse vertex and object moving is broken. Hm?

Tweaking is alt+LMB

Right, but not intuitive like the standard keymap. Please change it back to standard.

LMB select interferes with LMB tweak, hence addition of alt to start tweaking.

Not here, when I use Select and the ā€œBlenderā€ theme. Or I am confused?

Right, Iā€™m using the box select by default. It interferes with that.

Isnā€™t your Rhino theme just a switch to right mouse navigation? Why is left mouse changed?

OK, I see this becomes more complicated, perhaps because blender standard was in the past right mouse selection.

Theme is switch to RMB navigation indeed, and LMB selection.

Hi Nathan and Blender-User,

I have tried to modify my own Rhino keymap for right mouse navigation. To do this by hand was annoying.

Now Iā€™ve swapped all MIDDLEMOUSE keys with RIGHTMOUSE keys automatically in a text editor (and EVT_TWEAK_M with EVT_TWEAK_R). This seams to work quite well.

Perhaps this Blender 2.80 keymap helps some people: Mikes_Rhino_Keymap.py (326.0 KB)

Cheers

Michael

Iā€™ll check the coming week.

One reason I didnā€™t use MMB is that Iā€™m used the Macbook Pro with just the trackpad to do many changes (too lazy to find the connection thingy to get my proper mouse attached :wink: ). But I probably just should do that and get your ideas in.

Shift+RMB does not work in UV editor :wink: Besides wonderful job :+1:

Hi @nathanletwory ,

Iā€™m new to Blender but very interested in implementing it into my workflow. Thank you for all the resources you have been sharing - theyā€™ve been very useful and Iā€™m still getting my head around the software. However, I tried to install this keymap and I keep getting this error message. Do you have any idea what I could do to fix it?

Capture

Hi @alice.kaii,

it looks like you have downloaded the hosting webpage instead of the .py file.

The direct link to the keymap file is https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jesterKing/RhinoKeyMap/master/rhino3d_km.py