Rhino is slow when hatching

rhino5
unhandled

I have a decent computer. However, when I hatch many curves in one go. Rhino seems to hang for a while. I am talking about only 1000 curves and I apply the hatch function.

1. Is there a way to speed it up? At the moment, I have to do the hatch in batches, as the time it takes seem to me is growing exponentially.

2. Rather than doing hatch, is there a way easier way to color in the curves with a color?

hatch one row or even just one and make an array, then make 2 different rows and make an array again,
done in less than 1 minute.

I cannot use the array function. The image above is just an example. The holes can be located randomly and the size can be different. So array is not an option.

Have you tried to hatch 1000 or 10000 holes?

(Tom) #4

There is a solution:

if you access hatching by code you can significantly improve performance by not passing the curves as a collection, but rather iterating through each curve and say hatch me.

If you have Grasshopper, you can access this little script: 10000 crvs took < 30 milliseconds for everything

HatchBake.gh (372.1 KB)

code is very simple:

if (bake)
      for (int i = 0; i < crvs.Count; i++)
           RhinoDocument.Objects.AddHatch(Hatch.Create(crvs[i], pattern, rotation, scale)[0]);

Seems to be a bug in Rh V5