Rhino gets hung up after drawing/mouse issues

Hey everyone, I’m having a problem with my Rhino that I’m hoping you can help me with. For some reason, Rhino is suddenly misbehaving. When I open a new window, everything seems fine. I can pan, zoom, etc fine. But, as soon as I draw a select box, or any kind of shape, that viewport seems to lock up. Pressing ‘Enter’ seems to allow me to keep working, but it used to reset the cursor to the select tool - but now it stays on whatever command was last used. It’s never done that before and it’s kind of a pain. Hitting ‘Esc’ doesn’t do anything - whereas it used to cancel the command. There are other weird little quirks that have seemingly sprung up from nowhere, and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, has any advice to get it back to how it’s always worked? I’ve tried restoring the default settings, but nothing. Thanks in advance!!

It sounds like something has changed on your system. Do you have new hardware, was there a Windows update, …?
Please run the SystemInfo command and post the result here.

No hardware changes to my PC, but possibly an update. I’m running Windows 10 Home, ver. 1809. My Rhino is ver. 4.0 SR9. Not sure if that helps. Thanks!!

I take it you have tried a reboot?
My Windows says it’s up-to-date and is running ver. 1803…
Can you roll back that 1809 update and see if that helps?

1809 is the ill-fated Fall update which Ms are now gradually pushing out again.

Hmm…I could try that. Thanks again!

I’m not sure if I’m getting too far out of the realm of Rhino help here, but I’ve tried following some walkthroughs on how to revert back to ver. 1803. I have gone past the deadline to revert, so I can’t just click ‘Get Started’ in the Recovery menu to roll back. So I have followed some instructions to manually change the number of days to revert in the Admin Command Prompt, but it keeps coming up with ‘Error: 3 The System cannot find the path specified’. I’ve tried googling that error message, but can’t seem to find any info. Any other ideas?

The official Microsoft support page for this is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options (note the en-gb: I’m in the UK. You might get taken to your country equivalent).

I’m guessing, as you haven’t mentioned them, that you don’t take backups of your PC (this would be a great time to have one!) so your final option will probably be to reinstall everything from the original media (but do back up your data first).

That’s a tiresome road to go down. Especially as you can’t be completely certain that the latest update caused your problems. You could first check that Windows update is set to download drivers and wait two or three weeks to see whether further updates bring things back together.

You could also try just reinstalling Rhino into the latest Windows environment.