Rhino 7/ Windows issue?

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out an issue i have been having that seems to be related to Rhino 7.

Behavior: Computer operates as you’d expect when it is turned on, until Rhino 7 application is opened. When i try to switch between windows application and another, non rhino window, i can hover the mouse as youd expect (and it will highlight selection), but it will not “click” on the window, as if to select it. This is the same behavior for any action you might want to take outside of rhino interface. The work around has been to close rhino 7, when i want to use another application on my computer (chrome browser, for instance.)

This is demonstratable, easily repeatable behavior, and is affecting two seperatate computers I have. it is repeated with both a mouse, and wacom tablet. I have swapped graphics cards, with no change in behavior,

Steps I have taken to fix:

1. windows in place repair.
  2. reinstalled windows
  3. uninstalled rhino 7 with revo uninstaller and reinstalled rhino 7

System Info:
Comuter #1 / Intel I9 processor / WIN10 64x / 16 GB RAM / RTX 2080
Computer #2 / AMD RYZEN 9 / WIN 10 64x / 64 GB RAM / RTX 3090

Hi Clwarddesigns,

Can you run SystemInfo from the Rhino command line?

A good place to start is to look for 3rd party plugins or perhaps a citrix adapter that could be interfering. Thanks

Here you go:

Rhino 7 SR28 2023-2-27 (Rhino 7, 7.28.23058.03001, Git hash:master @ 4ffc5d7156fbccf2a5d9fcc80e522b3851bc7f6c)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (NVidia) Memory: 24GB, Driver date: 3-16-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 531.41
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-16-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.3141
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 24 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

I have not installed anything 3rd party, that I am aware of.

Thanks. Looks to be a single monitor as well? Just trying to get a handle on all the potential variables. Are both machines on the same Windows 10 version? Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0).

This happens when opening a blank file or with a particular file?

Seems to happen regardless of file, however I do use a file template

I’m not finding any reports of similar behavior, but you are able to replicate on different machines. Is there anything similar (but different than a typical windows setup) on those machines? Like a particular anti-virus software or company user control policy?

we are required to use VPN software… other than that i have similiar peripheral setups on both.
Would a video of behavior help?

Please, we’re running out of variables. Did you try with a default Rhino Template?

are you able to ALT+TAB to another window?

random thoughts

1. stay far away from any third party types of uninstallers/cleaners
  2. when you reinstalled windows, did you install any software except the vpn software, before installing rhino?
  3. what is the vpn software, and its version

this is not describing anything rhino should be capable of doing, it implies some other software being involved (especially given you observe it on two different machines), e.g. theming software, or software that installs windows explorer plugins, third-party window managers that add buttons/etc to every window, and the like

if the windows install is quite fresh, there should be few programs installed other than rhino & the vpn software, so a list of other installed software may be able to give a clue

yes. I will be able to select that window, it will be brought to front, but will not otherwise be able to manipulate that window. However, I will always be able to go back and manipulate the rhino window, or otherwisw work in rhino as normal. Once i close rhino, the behavior does not persist. A co worker suggested maybe installing rhino 8 beta?

I would not do that, we do not want to introduce more uncertainty

Id like to update this post. I am now experiecing this issue on 3 seperate computers, one most recently purchase 1 month ago. The problem does not occur at all on any of the machines until I open Rhino 7 for the first time. Then the issue kicks off as described above. It easy to replicate on any machine.

Do these machines have Citrix installed? This seems isolated to your particular environment.

No. I own all 3 and have verified that the issu occurs wheter at home or in office.

All 3 are running windows 10 pro 64x. Id also like to mention that the problem will stop, and my windows in other programs will unlock, once I shut down Rhino 7 application.

There hasn’t any similar issues reported & I haven’t been able to replicate, this points to a 3rd party variable.

Are these all hooked up to the same type of monitor?

I have two monitors, 1 at work (LG) and one at home (Dell). can you explain what the possible interaction might be (plugin, other application, windows itself, etc?) Ill see if that jogs anything and get more info to you.

Can you try without the VPN?

Is Rhino running as administrator or is there company policies governing?

VPN: Yes, I thought of this and the new machine I bought i DID NOT install the VPN to test this. It worked fine for a bit, and then the issue appeared. The Rhino 7 license is mine alone, and does not belong to the company. All equipment and software is mine, and I operate as a contractor.