Rhino for Mac - Removed Features

Good example. But c’mon, Mitch, I was just having a little fun. I know there are some of us who could get along just fine buying from McNeel and getting a little help from this forum.
But I’m also well aware that there are many (customers of you and the other resellers) who benefit greatly from a more intimate and personalized relationship. I’m also well aware of the fact that your help and advice here couldn’t be as good and plentiful as it is if you didn’t have a large base of Rhino users feeding you problems to respond to and learn from. I suspect you probably wouldn’t be as inclined to spend as much time here if you weren’t compensated via your profit on your sales, either.

But I’m inclined to ask: how will this particular example work under the download-only scheme - or, for that matter, how does it work even if the customer pays you up front? Do they download from your server? And how do you and McNeel keep track of what you’ve sold? Or maybe it’s none of my business. :wink:

I suppose they download from the McNeel server just like they do now for SRs. The key code still will be provided by the local reseller - in an email with the invoice. The reseller orders a number of keys from McNeel. they both do their own bookkeeping.

Well, I don’t think there is any reason to keep anything secret here… Remember, downloading is not a problem, anyone can download all McNeel products now. However for a license to be validated as a sold license, they need to have a key. So what they pay for is the key.

McNeel have simply created a system that replaces the physical inventorying and shipment of boxes with an electronic one. The rest is exactly as it was before. Resellers buy inventory (keys) from McNeel and instead of having boxes shipped to them, they get them stored in an online “warehouse” that has been created for them by McNeel. From there the reseller ships product to the customer, again virtually as opposed to sending out packages. How the reseller actually gets paid by the customer is up to them to organize, just as before.

–Mitch

1 Like

Thanks for educating me. Being in the US, I’m one of those who has bought all his McNeel products directly.

YES!! Over the last 2 years I totally got hooked to Rhino, love it, so clever and intuitive, thanks guys!! Now praying Vray will be released soon and then I can finally make my switch from the polygon world. Thumbs up!

Plug-in details here:

Can I use the commercial Mac license on several computers?
At the moment I’m using it at my work and at home.

The license agreement for Rhino for Mac allows you to install on all the computers under your control so long as the license is in use on only one computer at a time. If you need Rhino for Mac on several computers so you and your colleagues can all work with Rhino at the same time, then you need multiple licenses.

Is it possible to create a crossover license, I’m working on both systems Mac/Windows.
Windows because of Grasshopper (paneling tools included) and it will take a while, if ever, that Grasshopper will run on a Mac.

No. If you use both, you’ll need a license for each. You’ll be receiving an email in the next few weeks with details.

Another benefit is that the resellers have access to the sold licenses, so if you loose your email containing the License Key then a new one can quickly be sent out.

Although I started to use Rhino for Mac since firsts WIPs, this is the first time I know that Paneling Tools were available. Maybe ut was better to follow the forum, but anyway I think that the notes of the release updates should have been more complete.

Also, I use Rhino mostly for architecture and I think that Grasshopper is a big lack. I hope that as soon as possible it will be implemented.

Anyway, I’m glad for the RC1!

I didn’t know PT was in there either until very recently. Assumed due to the lack f plugins that it wasn’t. Will be removed in release, however I understand you’ll still be able to use a wip to access them until plugin support gets added.

Bummer about Paneling Tools. It was a really cool feature. Truth be told I only played around with it, but hoped to work it into my design workflow over time. Are there any other comparable tools/features?

You can still use Paneling Tools. It’s moved to the WIP (see original post above).

Thanks for your reply.
So, the idea is that I would only use the WIP, or would I have to keep both WIP and RC1 on my system.
I’m guessing the WIP won’t have future updates, or patches, correct?

The full commercial release - when it releases - ought to be stable.

The WIP will continue to be a Work-In-Progress, so there may be instability, bugs, half-finished development work. There will be new WIPs as we add features and fix bugs…we don’t know the frequency of releases yet.

You can have both on your system at the same time. The application name for the full commercial release is “Rhinoceros” and the WIP is “RhinoWIP.” They have slightly different icons and their version numbers are different.

Good to know, it seemed to a bit ambiguous in the RC1 discussion.

Hi, I was using panelling tools for an architecture project on college and recently discovered they were eliminated. The final presentation is tomorrow, monday 25. Is there any way I can access the tools, either on RC1 or on the WIP’s?

As was written in the first post in this thread:

Owners of Rhino for Mac will be able to use these features in the WIP, but will need a license of Rhino for Mac to use the WIP. To download the latest WIP, visit http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-mac/5B/wip