Goodbye RhinoWIP for Rhino 5 for Mac

TL;DR: The RhinoWIP process for Rhino 5 for Mac is over. Grasshopper and PanelingTools are in the 5.4 update. The RhinoWIP for Rhino 6 for Mac is coming soon™. Stay tuned.

Dear RhinoWIP users:

In the coming weeks, the last RhinoWIP (5E397w) will begin saying that it is out-of-date and you need to update. If all goes according to plan, RhinoWIP 5E397w will be the last RhinoWIP in the Rhino 5 for Mac cycle.

You may have also noticed we recently published the 5.4 update to Rhino 5 for Mac. If you’re looking for Grasshopper or PanelingTools, that’s where you will find them.

What about _____ feature in Rhino 5 for Mac?

Implementing some missing features necessitated a bunch of programming that would have to be done one way for Rhino 5 and a completely different way for Rhino 6. Rather than author obsolete, dead-end code, we are choosing to focus our efforts on Rhino 6.

Where’s the RhinoWIP for Rhino 6 for Mac?

The RhinoWIP for version 6 is coming soon™.

How soon is soon™?

Take a look at our TODO list on YouTrack. When this list gets close to zero, expect to hear from us.

Thanks again for all your patience, testing, reporting bugs, and crafting Rhino.

16 Likes

Do I need a Rhino 6 license (which is a hybrid license, right?) to test the v6 Mac WIP builds?

Once there is a RhinoWIP for version 6 for Mac, you will be able to use a RH60 (Rhino 6) or MR50 (Rhino 5 for Mac) license key to get an MR6B (RhinoWIP) key.

7 Likes

Working layer manager with one click sorting, please!

1 Like

Awhhh, now I really have to update to El Capitan in order to use GH :wink:

RhinoCAM for mac.
Please please please please please please.

Contact Mecsoft. They will never see your message about wanting a RhinoCAM here.

But is there at least an opportunity to code third-party plugins for mac’s Rhino?

Yes. The SDK was added in 5.1 some time ago.

1 Like

Not going to happen according to Mecsoft’s responses in the past. So don’t get your hopes up.

I look with a big smile to the past Years of WIP also before the v5 with thinks like Toucan etc. and ups and downs. Thanks for all the passion you bring into the MAC Version of Rhino.
And with a much much bigger smile i look to the future of Rhino for MAC with the V6 adn the RDK and so much more to have a lot of fun and productivity with it.
I look curious and happy to the next big step from you. and thanks so far - I probably never go back to the win Version.

4 Likes

Hi Dan,
So starting from Rhino 6 for Mac we will be able to by one license which will work for Mac and Windows versions?
Cheers

You can already. The current Windows V6 license will also work for Mac Rhino V6.

1 Like

Will it work with current Rhino for mac 5?

No. But you can generate a “legacy” Mac Rhino 5 license key if you buy a V6 license and install/validate it in your Rhino Account.

1 Like

Ok So I can buy Windows 6 license and then generate legacy Mac 5 license while waiting for Mac V6?
Does it work with floating licenses as well?

Didn’t know that, thanks Mitch.

Yes, that is the idea.

You will need to create a Rhino Account and then install your V6 license in your account. That makes it floating. Once validated in your Rhino account, you can generate the V5 key (not before).

However, you cannot install V5 licenses in a Rhino Account, so they need to be installed locally on a machine. I believe the use of the V5 for Mac license will then be limited to that one machine.

At least that’s my understanding.

–Mitch

Cool thank you!