Rhino doesn't work

Hello,
first sorry for my English, I’ll do my best to describe it as best I can.

Today I install Rhino 6 Trial version for 90 days. Installation went well. But when I turn on the program, either my windows get black or I can’t create something in the world at all (I don’t even have to change the angle in perspective with the help of the mouse). For example, I can only click on the rectangle but when I want to place him into the world nothing happened.

I’m afraid my laptop can’t fully run Rhino. But it manages more demanding programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and with a few problems 3dMax too. And if this version fails to run, is it possible to download an older version? Could someone help me, please?

I will be happy for any advice and help. :slight_smile:

Notebook: (I hope the system shows it well.)

• Windows 10
  • Intel® HD Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT630M
  • Intel® Pentium® CPU b960 @2.20GHz

Describe what you mean by does not work? Is there an error message? Does rhino 6 start up?

Normally startup problems are from Windows that is not up to date with windows update, or video drivers are old.

Can you got to the applications list in Windows and start Rhino 6 in safe mode?

Are you able to type the command SystemInfo in Rhino even though the windows are black? If so, please copy/paste the info obtained here. (you can also do this in safe mode).

That is a pretty old system though - 2012 or so - not sure how well it’s going to work. The latest Nvidia graphics card driver is from 2018, I would get that and install it if possible.

Those programs are actually far less demanding on your video card than a 3D application like Rhino.

Rhino start up normally but I can’t modeling. The view (Right, Perspektive, …) doesn’t work I can’t put there anything. Only they are freeze. Actualization are current.

I tried that safe mode, that is work normal. What is the difference between normal and safe mode?

The SystemInfo:

Rhino 6 SR26 2020-5-26 (Rhino 6, 6.26.20147.06511, Git hash:master @ 7788f6214ee9335d5793cc6177985a1c745e663b)
License type: Evaluation, sestavení 2020-05-26
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2020-08-28

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 3.9Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-30R7UI1

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 5-19-2016 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M (NVidia) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-1-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-1-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.26.20147.6511
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.26.20147.6511
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.26.20147.6511
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.26.20147.6511
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Yep, old drivers are a problem. Check the manufacturers website for both the Intel and Nvidia card.

Technically the video has less memory then minimum, but the new drivers may help.

Safe mode does not use OpenGL.

But I could modeling in safe mode and saving models?

Updating the driver is always the first try. And normally results in the best outcome.

But, you can also disable opengl, which disables some of the display effects, like safe mode.

Go to Options->Rhino Options->Advanced…
Scroll down until you see “Rhino.Options.OpenGL.xxxxx” entries. Look for the entry “Rhino.Options.OpenGL.UseHardwareDriver" . Set that to false

Thank you very much! It runs great, it doesn’t even cut that much.

Once again, thank you.
Have a nice day. :slight_smile: