Rhino doesn't open dwg anymore

hi!
i’m using rhino 5.2.3 for mac. on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.
after few days i’m using dwg files from autocad. easly opened in rhino, now just start to report -File has errors – Attempting recovery.
Some objects may be changed or deleted.
Read commandline messages to see recovery results. - by opening the same files. not modified.
it’s about some files. not with all the dwg files.
how can be possible?
thanx for your help!
best
Laura

find the solution by cleaning the cache…
sorry for being tragic so quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just curious, where’s the setting for clearing the cache? Just would like to know as I crash my Rhino mac every now and then when using make2D and putting dimensions, maybe clearing cache may help…

actually is not solved.
i’ve clean the cache from internet setting, so the computer it is a bit 'recovered.
and i’ve made to open 1 file. that actually is the smaller. the problem still with other files.
i think it’s ram matter. it’s just my feeling. i’m good in modelling but not in software problems :wink:
the fact is that i’ve used those files for several days. now that the model is getting bigger it’s start to have problem.
let’s find a cache cleaning in rhino :slight_smile:

Hi Laura,
Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems with this issue.

[quote=“Laura_Fornoni, post:1, topic:38729”]
after few days i’m using dwg files from autocad. easly opened in rhino, now just start to report -File has errors – Attempting recovery.Some objects may be changed or deleted.Read commandline messages to see recovery results. - by opening the same files. not modified. it’s about some files. not with all the dwg files.
[/quote] (rhino 5.2.3 for mac)

To further investigate this issue, we need:

• a set of files that will reproduce this for use.
  • a procedure or list of commands and input to duplicate the issue
  • any miscellaneous details like screen captures of error messages

If they are not something that you can share on this forum, please email them or send a Dropbox/GoogleDrive link to mary@mcneel.com.

I will try to reproduce your issue here.
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

1 Like

Having a similar issue. I just imported a dwg file to Rhino but I have even a smaller dwg I can’t seem to import it. Giving the same error mentioned in the openning post and after I click “ok” another error of window appears “Opendesign error: Invalid file version. Can’t recover file”

EDIT: Solved the problem by saving the file as AutoCad 2013 file and then, importing to Rhino 5.

1 Like

Rhino for Mac 5.4 (5E407) on late 2012 imac running high sierra 10.13.3
dwgs failing on import: each acad version 2018 down to 2004
"Error importing file [filename]"
acad 2000 is successful

anyone else having this issue?

Do you have a file you can share and steps to reproduce the issue?

Hi Dan, thanks for your response

Process was as follows:
2018 version
Saveas from 2018 Autocad LT for MAC (current version per subscription) [or WBLOCK]

File menu: “Import…” to insert it into new, empty Rhino file

error-01
error-02

sample dwg attached
test-block.dwg (50.9 KB)

2013 file
get message

Command: _Import
Opened AutoCAD file version Unknown.

Error converting file.
Error importing file “/Users/adamc/Desktop/test-block-2013.dwg”.

same for file saved down to 2010, 2007 & 2004

and, well, now nothing is importing as I’m walking through it testing each version
similar for .dxf
“Insert” doesn’t bring the file in either
“Open”, same thing

1 Like

Could you share the file in 2013 format, this one is in 2018? I’m not having problems opening .dwg files in 5.4.

here’s 2013 file
test-block-2013.dwg (58.3 KB)

imports ok here, it also straight ‘opens’ fine on my machine, using 5.4

it opens with no problems under 5.4.

@milezee & @jespizua, thanks for testing/checking

hi all,
wondering if this importing issue has been resolved. I’m using Rhino for Mac 5.4.2 and I’m confronting the same problem. I’ve been saving down various versions of dwg and dxf on AutoCad and not having any luck. it’s a 2d dwg with some paperspace layout work.
Thanks,

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem, does anyone know the fix?

1 Like

This error just started for me.
I have had no issues importing DXF or DWG formats until a few days ago.
Recently I have had problems from several different clients sending a variety of file types my way. I am stuck without the ability to open these file types.
This does not look like it has been resolved in this thread.
What is the solution?

1 Like

same here. using rhino mac 5.5 . i have only faced this problem recently, cannot open any of my DWG files after the update.

Are those DWG file that you export from Rhino and then try to open again or do they come from another source? If so, where? Do you have a file that you can share?

Same issue here… using Rhino 5.5.2 for Mac… have downsaved to all versions of dwg & dxf in Autocad2018LT and nothing imports… any solutions/workarounds, yet?