Rhino 8 Release Date Question

I’d like to express a bit of disappointment with McNeel’s resource allocation and what I’ll call ticket management for lack of a better term even though you don’t seem to track tickets.

It doesn’t seem like a good long term strategy to pour all of the attention on the squeakiest wheel.

Fixes don’t have to be instant, but an initial response and setting expectations is vital.

An increasingly loud complaint about screen flicker seems to have gotten a dedicated dev including weekend effort plus focused attention from various other senior people because it’s loud and repeated, while reports of:

1. a multi-minute delay in the Package Manager, a key feature for plugin users, doesn’t even get crickets as a response. Ever tried to talk a user through “Download this file, then find the directory it went to, then find someplace else to drag and drop it to?” That’s not fun for the plugin customer or the vendor so it’s why manual installs are bad and a smooth Package Manager experience should be a top priority.
    WISH: Package Manager - Rhino / Rhino for Windows - McNeel Forum

2. A difference in geometry handling between V7 and V8 which is apparently a significant issue for a Rhino user and his client (neither is me in this case- I just helped with the repro), crickets. (maybe it’s a bug, maybe it just needs an explanation he can either work around or take to the client)
    Curve.Contains Fail

3. Basic API problem, fix apparently didn’t do it, no response yet.
    SDK RhinoCommon: Exposed ON_Extrusion::GetBrepFormComponentIndex : RH-77226 (myjetbrains.com)

4. “How do I apply a plugin license to a group of users?”, one response that was just a dev tag and then no response.
    How to Add Plugin License for Group to Cloud Zoo - Rhino Developer - McNeel Forum

5. weeks to get a Cloud License API Key. It was getting the initial response that was the problem- email to dev specified in the help file, no response, email to tech@, no response, phone call to tech, instant problem solving. Dev gets an A, ticket system gets an F.

6. Code signing key, just under two weeks, so far, just to get a response, estimate: 10 more days, to get a code signing key. Ticket system gets an F.

1 Like