Rhino 8: Linetype scaling in layout space

In Rhino 7 I used to scale my linetypes globally (“SetLinetypeScale”) in order to have the right scale for the respective scale drawings (e.g. detail drawings, 1:20) on my layouts. Now it seems to have no effect on the drawing on my layout, only in the model space. The linetype scale in the detail windows seems to remain set to 1. How can I fix this?

1 Like

I am having this same issue and it is extremely frustrating. The linetype scale does not seem to apply to the detail views on a layout. First image is a print preview portion of a detail drawing from Rhino 6 (I jumped from 6 to 8) and second image is how it now looks in Rhino 8. The Rhino 6 version is how it should look.

Is this the same issue you are having? @laEO

Yes, it is. It has a huge impact on my workflow and is extremely frustrating - I agree.
In the meantime I also made sure I have the latest version of Rhino 8 installed - but even after the last update nothing has changed. I hope this bug will be fixed soon …

Hi -
Linetypes changed a lot between Rhino 7 and Rhino 8.
In Rhino 7, the same curve shown in two details with different scaling would have segments with different lengths:

In Rhino 8, the linetype segments are defined so that they display consistently on layouts, and the scaling is done in model space:

That said, there’s an outstanding issue about linetype patterns when printing → RH-79998 Print: Linetype patterns and weight
Using the “Match viewport display” option should make printing a Rhino 7 file work as in Rhino 7.
-wim

1 Like

HI Wim, thank you for your response. I do see the value of having the linetype segments display consistently on layouts of various scales. But we would also like to have the option to display them as they were in Rhino 7.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Brittni,
Model Space linetype scaling is missing in Rhino 8 sr0 to sr5.
But is coming back to Rhino 8 sr6 which will be available as the Release Candidate eon March 12.
In Rhino 8 sr0 to sr5 the linetype scale is always displayed in Layout units.
This can be very frustrating if your linetype are intended to be displayed in model units, and this left out of these versions.

However, Model space linetype scaling in Rhino 8 will be access differently that Rhino 7 and previous versions. (Here they were accessed from the PrintDisplay command.)
As of sr6 it will be associated with the Linetype. Linetype configuraiton is done from the new Rhino 8 Linetype panel.

Linetypes will need to enable the Model scale for specific linetype. All others will remain scaling with Layout units. It is contained in this YT RH-79551

This Linetype with the model scaling option enabled will control the linetype width in model units.
For example it you have a 6" pipe, and Model scaling is turned on for the linetype, curve drawn with this linetype will display a model width on the layout equivalent to 6" in the detail.

You can give this a try and accessed the release candidate sr6 on March 12, by changing the Update Frequency under “Updates and Statistics” to Release Candidate.

Thanks for asking.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Thank you Mary!

1 Like

Rhino 8 sr6 will be available as the Release Candidate on March 12 ???

We delayed 8.6 by a day. We hope to make it available tomorrow

Hi @WATER85,
Sr6 RC is now available!
You can turn your Update Frequency to Release candidate and “check for updates.”

• On Rhino 8 Windows it is in Options → Updates and Statistic.
  • On Rhino 8 Mac, it is in Options → General.

Use the new feature, there are easy 3 steps:

1. Set the Model scaling for the linetype pattern to the Linetype definition in the Linetype panel or the Options → Linetype page.
  2. Set the linetype to the Layer or to the object.
  3. Print Preview or Print display will now display the objects assigned to this linetype in model units.

Clues:

• The a linetype is in model units, zooming the detail to various magnifications will change the width and linetype display.
  • When the linetype is in layout units (default) and this model scale is not checked, the linetype interval and width will not change when you zoom the detail. It will be display full size always on the layout.
    See the video here:

History
In the past, it appeared that most users wanted Layout unit for the linetype pattern and width. This meant that regardless of the detail scale, the displayed linetypes were same spacing and width. This became the default was that Rhino 8 works. However, some users still required Model scaled linetypes and width.

So in sr6 RC or later Model scale Linetypes spacing is back. And together with the spacing, Rhino 8 Sr6 will also scale the width in Model units. This was a long time request of the civil and piping industries that wanted their linetype width to represent real world values like a 6" pipe or a 24’ road, for example.

The “Model scale” option you can configure certain linetypes to use model unit scaling, leaving the majority of linetypes to use the Layout scale. It was not possible to configure a linetype to scale with layout or model units before Rhino 8 sr6 or in any previous version of Rhino.

If you have a model that is not working, email the 3DM or a snip of the file (enough to show us the issue) to tech@mcneel.com, Attn. Mary, and reference this Forum thread. I will be looking forward to investigating any issue.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

3 Likes

Yay! This is exactly the option I wanted. Solved the issue easily. Thank you!!

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Brittni.
I updated the post to “RC6 is available.”

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

hello.
After understanding the above, I tried running a simple example.
There is one problem I found.
When printing, you are asked to select a line type pattern definition.
It was not properly applied to actual output.
Is there anything I did wrong?
Or is this not resolved?

1 Like

For some reason I follow all these steps and still cannot get the linetypes to scale correctly in the layout. The model scale value in the Linetype Properties dialog box does not stay set, and the model units display box does not stay checked. My Rhino 8 is up-to-date. Please help!

Hi Lisa and @Haechul_Shin,
Please post or email us a small file to test.
You can email to tech@mcneel.com.

Also please send a procedure so when we test with your file, we know what you are doing when you see the issue.

Also your Rhino SystemInfo would be helpful.
Open Rhino and type SystemInfo command. Copy and paste the text results here or into your email.
Also if you email us, incldue the link to the Forum thread.

Thanks for your help.
Mary Ann Fugier