Rhino 8 Feature: Linetype Enhancements

Looks wanderful !

Curious if it can be accessed in Grasshopper in some way? Would be great to have lines that taper depending on distance from camera.

Looks amazing!

If you can also add a feature to extend the line (maybe as a multiple of width?) that would be end-game material right there!

Yes! Please see these posts.

This looks AMAZING!
Probably the feature Iā€™m most hyped for right now :smile:

Keeping things simple is also useful.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Linetype Taper on Make2d

Curve piping has been modified to support tapered curves. It is still a little buggy.

There is also a TestCurveOutline test command that will extract a polyline boundary from a tapered curve.

3 Likes

Thanks, Lowell!
RH-74303 Annotation: Linetype: Number of segments
-wim

2 posts were split to a new topic: Feature Request: Advanced linetype taper settings

Hi @mary,

Iā€™ve really been enjoying integrating the linetype enhancements into my workflows.

Any chance that you all can add linetype support for the custom preview component in Grasshopper?

Currently I need to bake the lines for non-continuous line types to show up visually in model space as the Custom Preview component currently outputs continuous lines (and custom colors) only.

It would be wonderful to save the overhead/time of baking and simply show dashed lines via Custom Preview only.

Thanks!

Will there be any tweaks on the arrowhead?

Hi Filip -

There is nothing planned for Rhino 8 in this regard, no.
What specific tweak are you interested in?
-wim

1 Like

Thanks for answering. I should have been more specific and clear :slight_smile:

I would like to have some more options on adding endings on curves, as in arrowheads/dots/squares. Right now, the arrowhead is dynamic in my viewport and can only be set to a specific size when printed. As of now, I usually draw a dedicated triangle, but its not that flexible.

So all in all, just the same tweaks and options you added for the lineart, but for endings.

Illustrator as reference;

Hi @mary , I wonder where are these seetings hidden ? Are they still here ?

Hi Felix -

The settings are not hidden. They can be found in the ā€œObjectsā€ settings for a display mode.
-wim

1 Like

Hi Filip -

We have that feature request on the list as RH-37989 Add arrowhead display style to ends of curves
-wim

2 Likes

Well I did look there, but canā€™t seem to find Linetypes as used in Mary Ann capture.

Please note tha it is not easy to look into these settings. For example, it is not clear which options are available in which base display mode and why.

Hi Felix -

Her statement applied to showing or hiding edges, isocurves, patterns, etcā€¦ You have to define the linetype in the Linetypes panel and apply a linetype to a layer or object.

Rhino is not getting any less complex, no.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œbase display modeā€, but all settings that can be found on those pages apply to the display mode that the pages are attached to.
-wim

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification !

Itā€™s an other subject, but what I find not clear is the status of the standard display modes, shipped with Rhino. To me, they are presets to ease a basic use of display modes. When I say preset, I mean that I always thought I could tweak any display mode to become another one. This is in fact not possible : some settings are only available if my new display mode is duplicated from a specific standard display mode. I donā€™t mind a complex software where I can understand the choices I have ; my concern here is that the different settings available from a standard display mode to another are not exposed (or not clearly).

This could for example be clarified for example by showing display modes in a tree way, exposing families of display modes.