Here is my report after testing Rhino 8 beta for a few hours
(tested using Rhino v.8.0.23255.13164, 2023-09-12 on a MacBook Pro M1 / MacOS Monterey).
In general, I am totally blown away by Metal performances!
I have no memory of Rhino working THIS well on a Mac before, thank you very much McNeel!
Anyway, here are some issues I found in this version:
1. Resizing containers/toolbars (when they are not floating windows) is pretty hard and the click-and-drag is not always working
2. The info panel (bottom-left on the screen) pops-up too slowly
For example, If I use the Distance command, I have to wait almost 2 seconds to read the result of the operation. I find the animation pretty useless and distracting, can we turn it off or at least speed up the pop-up?
3. Rhino does not remembers exactly the Window Layout when quitting and re-launching the application
Here below an example where it randomly added a new container.
4. The “Dynamic Highlight” function doesn’t turns off when disabled from Rhino’s preferences
5. “Section Style” function and its customizing window are pretty buggy.
I randomly cannot click on menus to customize it, it randomly loses the saved settings or just doesn’t work.
6. Right-clicking menu on a viewport doesn’t have all the options as in Rhino 7. Is it possible to have them back?
7. The toolbar’s tabs titles are way too “pale”, as if they where disabled
8. Lines display often with random thickness, depending on the zoom level of the view.
Here a view in Shaded mode (where I set the edges lines at Scale 1) before and after zooming in in the viewport:
9. Monochrome has glitches (and also, its lines are very low-quality)
10. Rhino’s GUI has never been “swiss” (if you know what I mean), but I have the feeling that it’s become worst with 8.
The alignments of almost every element of the GUI look… very random. Here are some examples:
11. The flair menu should be disabled?
I hope those issues can be solved during the beta development?
And the GUI refined a little bit…