Rhino 8 - 3d model import not working properly

Hello, I am continuously having the same issue and can’t seem to figure out the cause, because I never had the issue in any previous versions of Rhino. I download a free model (usually from Adobe Substance 3d assets), an FBX file and its included in my Adobe subscription. When I import to Rhino 8, it comes in with the geometries on different meshes shifted in position, as if like say they are both importing with a different “base point”, so its basically useless. For example, a rowboat frame might be shifted 2ft away from the rowboat metal skin. The workaround has been to open the FBX in blender, looks completely normal, then select all objects and “ctrl J” to join them, then reexport as FBX. This seems to open in Rhino fine and can be exploded. Please help with any insight, its crazy frustrating to have to work in Blender just to get this to work. Its probably some setting I don’t have checked or something. Thank you in advance!

you can see what I’m talking about here, the positions on boat skin, boat frame, and seats are not where they are supposed to be . All i did was drag an fbx onto a blank canvas Rhino 8 — import ----yes to the scaling question :

any chance you can share the file with us? if you want to do it privately please use this uploader.

https://www.rhino3d.com/upload

sorry for delay. Yes I will, but you can download any file from Adobe substance 3d assets (or turbosquid fbx) and i am having same exact issues. it never used to do this so im assuming a setting changed. my only workaround is opening blender, joining and then reexporting to fbx and importing back to rhino. this gets everything in the right “place” but its super inconvenient. i will upload my rhino file (a blank file after importing the fbx) and also the original fbx. thanks, kyle.

sent through link, but i think i can attach here too. here is a screenshot and the file
Rhino_error_chriscraine.3dm (1.3 MB)
rowing_boat.fbx (1006.6 KB)

typically where i get my free models cuz they are accurate in scale : Substance 3D Assets

Hi Chris - thanks for the report - this model comes in correctly arranged but wrongly oriented if I do not ask to map the Y-Up on opening.

RemapCPlane Top to Front will get it oriented right - that might work OK until we get it fixed.

RH-80890 Opoen fbx: scattered if Y up

-Pascal

Can you explain your solution in more detail? If I open or import I am not getting any dialog or box on “y-up” settings. do i need to reinstall rhino 8 ? are you saying i need to check / uncheck something?

Screenshot 2024-03-08 131540

If i go file --open it just looks exactly as the screenshot. and if I drag and drop into existing file I get the dialogs… “file options —import file” and “rhino 8 fbx import scaling”

1 Like

maybe I clicked " always use these settings" at some point accidentally? is there a way to get it back?

Hi Chris - on the File > open dialog, poke on Options button.

-Pascal

1 Like

ah yes, that did the trick. THANK YOU. yea, that allows it to import correctly but I then just need to rotate 90degrees. still annoying but not as bad. haha. appreciate the help. weird flaw…

1 Like

Hi Chris - on Import, the objects will be selected - run this macro:

! _Rotate3D W0 W1,0,0 Copy=No 90

-Pascal

2 Likes