Rhino 7 View Rotation with Keyboard

Hi.
I am working with large point clouds and want to rotate my view of them with the keyboard. The default rotation of 1/60 revolutions turns it too far. I would like to decrease the default to 1/360 (1°) or sometimes even less. How can I change the default angle through which the view rotates each time I press one of the arrow keys?
Thanks.

1 Like

Fantastic. Thanks for the fast reply.

One more question, please:
I am working with drone-scanned highway point clouds that are long compared to their width. I would like to look at them from an end-view and rotate them (pitch up/down) until I am looking along the roadway, not too different from the way a driver sees it.
When the rotation center is near the middle of the cloud, even small incremental rotation angles become large at the ends of the narrow-aspect-ratio roadway.
Could you please tell me the easiest way to dynamically switch the view-rotation center in Rhino? For instance, in Cloud Compare, you double-click on a given part of the point cloud to move the rotation center to that spot. I would just like to know the most swift and efficient way to move the rotation center around to various locations on a point cloud?
Thank you.

Hello - Zoom > Target is a good way - snapping to a point on the point cloud to set the target; you could also Crtl-Shift select (including window select and Lasso) a subset of points in the cloud and ZS + enter (=Zoom Selected)
Either of those help?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal:
Yes, I think the ZT will work. I think I tried but figured I was on the wrong track because of the zoom window that follows the selection of the target – I get it now. Thanks again.

Don

Hi Pascal:
I use the picture frame command to get aerial photography behind my 3-D diagrams of crash sites (more accurately, I drag and drop images onto my 3-D crash site diagrams). I import point clouds of the crash scene and crashed vehicles so everything is aligned and scaled.

On my current project, the orthomosaic drone photograph is larger than usual at 715 MB. In JPG format, the same file is about 167 MB. When I insert that as a picture frame and zoom down to see the roadway texture, either format has purple artifacts that are not present in the file if I view it in a photo viewer.

These two little screen captures are at approximately the same magnification with Rhino on the left and the photo viewer on the right.

I have embedded similar photographs in Rhino for years and not seen this issue come up. I am using the latest update of Rhino 7 on a Windows 10 PC with 64 gig of RAM.

Could you please tell me if this is something I can fix? Are there any settings that control how the picture frame image is displayed?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don

@jeff - do you have any idea about this last question? I guess maybe Rhino is resamplig the large file?

-Pascal

Can I get the file that shows this? You’re using it as a Picture object, correct?

Rhino will resample an image file depending on how much video memory is available, and how big a given texture can be…it does not matter how much CPU memory you have…it’s GPU memory that matters here.

If I were to guess, it sounds/looks like there is no filtering being done on the image… This is set at the texture level for any given material…

But I’d like an example image so that I’m working with the same dataset.

Thanks,
-Jeff

HI Jeff:
It sounds like you are on the right track. I have a nice graphics card but I am running for monitors off but simultaneously so I may be taking more video memory than Rhino wants with a photograph of that size. I can bring in individual drone photographs, which are all used to make the orthomosaic image that I am having problems with, and the drone photographs looks perfect at full zoom.

Does having other point clouds and polygonal models in the file also consume video memory? This is a very long roadway (like 1200 feet) and I only need to work with a section of the time. Is there some work around them which I could chop the aerial into multiple sections and turn off most of them at any given time? If so, does Rhino have the facility for cropping and image section or what I need to do this in an editing program? I used to use Autocad’s Raster Design and I had to do something similar using its image editing tools.

I put the photograph into the following dropbox so you can see if you are able to see full resolution and maybe let me know how much video memory you have.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x55uzw1tz5jbu1v/AAC7yPlSQRkQPpYnyoh9bvSEa?dl=0

I appreciate you looking into it.

On a side note, I just want to say how much I love Rhino. I was a dedicated Autocad user from R14 (circa 1993) and I jumped to Rhino about 18 months ago and will never look back.

Thanks,

Don

So far, I’m not seeing any issues here with those images…

I currently have an AMD 6600 with 8GB of memory attached to two 4K monitors…

This is what I get in a maximized viewport…

Ack! Discourse downsized it… I posted a ~4K image…but it got downsized…but you can still see that I’m not getting any of the pixelated and funky dotted pattern you’re getting.

Can you run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and paste the results here.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Don,
Just as an aside,
I work with large pointclouds as well, including Kms of roadway picked up with Drone, car or helicopter mounted laser scanners. Have you tried using a Connexion 3D Mouse ? . I cant live without mine !
I have attached some videos of promo videos that I made for Orion Spatial Surveys here in Australia.

All the animation was done using Bongo for Rhino.
Regards,
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com

Ps , Rhino user for 20 years.

Hi Jeff:
I cropped the image to about ¼ size (just one side of the highway, same resolution. I inserted it in the same 3DM file and is zooms to full resolution, without the purple artifacts. So, that image in in the 3DM along with the big file, both visible and unlocked. The big one has the artifacts right next to the smaller one which shows clean.

Here’s the info you asked for. Thanks for not giving up.

Rhino 7 SR11 2021-10-20 (Rhino 7, 7.11.21293.09001, Git hash:master @ 972ac562128b307e99f15e56dd11586c73e91ecb)

License type: Commercial, build 2021-10-20

License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.

Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 1-29-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 442.19

Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)

• Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0

• Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1

• Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #2

• Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #3

OpenGL Settings

Safe mode: Off

Use accelerated hardware modes: On

Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x

Mip Map Filtering: Linear

Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation

Render version: 4.6

Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA

Driver Date: 1-29-2020

Driver Version: 26.21.14.4219

Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768

Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits

Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768

Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.20.rhp “Bongo 2.0”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.11.21293.9001

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.11.21293.9001

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.11.21293.9001

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.11.21293.9001

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.11.21293.9001

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

3 posts were split to a new topic: Coordinates and rotation information of blocks