Rhino 6 still unusable

Sorry but I am so much tired of Rhino 6. I would like to use it but I always quit it after a few minutes. Today I installed SR8… hoping that the display would be better, but still AA is lousy, wires looks ugly, but the absolute worst is the display degradation with dynamic redraw.

Every little view manipulation results in boundingbox display… completely unusable. I tried everything with the Frames per sec setting, from 1 to 25… all the same. That setting is bollocks anyway. Has always been and still is.

Rhino 5 is soooo much better. I own Rhino 6 cause I think I have to but its useless sorry

2 Likes

I feel your pain. I have many of the same issues and have pretty much gone back to V5. Orbiting around even simple models ends in bounding boxes after a few minutes of work. I could go on, but there seems to be no point.

Dennis

Hi @tobias,

Is the display degrading only when the skylight is on, or in any mode?

Are you using a 4k display?

Could you please paste the text from Help -> System Information...

-David

@dmoyes,

Could you please also answer the same questions?

-David

I generally use shaded mode although times I have used other modes the same thing happen. Also, it’s an inconsistent thing. If I open a model and just pan around it’s generally able to keep up. But, if I’ve been working in the file building objects it tends to bog down after a while.

Rhino 6 SR7 2018-7-29 (Rhino 6, 6.7.18210.11281, Git hash:master @ f815aae129dfe2008152736625ca2dbd0036b29a)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-07-29
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Dennis ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: SURFACE-BOOK

GeForce GTX 965M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.08)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-19-2017
Driver Version: 23.21.13.8808
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2017.11.15.520\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thanks @dmoyes. Is your laptop monitor a high-resolution monitor? Would it be possible to send us a model which very often degrades the display when rotating?

Trying to rule out some potential causes.

Thanks,
-David

This model was degrading a lot yesterday but not so much today, although when I tried to orbit around in Ray Traced mode Rhino crashed. I’m using an external 4K monitor with my laptop. The external monitor uses the GeForce card, the laptop screen uses the Intel HD graphics card.
COUNTERS_15AUG_V6 001.3dm (14.1 MB)

Hi David,
It seems to happen just in rendered mode. No shadows or other fancy stuff. Here the display mode Rendered.ini (11.4 KB)

My monitor is a Dell 2408 WFP with a 1920 x 1200 resolution

Here my system info:
Rhino 6 SR8 2018-8-7 (Rhino 6, 6.8.18219.371, Git hash:master @ d10c5684b9f4a36ea4dbb3f1b5acf4a7cf887763)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-08-07
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Tobias Nagel ()

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: T7500

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.82)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-30-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9882
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.8.18219.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.20.rhp “Bongo 2.0”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.8.18219.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.8.18219.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.8.18219.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\BongoUI.20.v60.rhp “BongoUI20v60”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2018.4.17.851\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Btw, I’ll stop now ranting over the same issues of Rhino 6 over and over again.
I’ve kind of giving up on Rhino 6.
My daily work happends in V5 which workes just great.

I’ll give V7 a shot when it’s coming out and hope for the best.

No, don’t stop ranting, it’s the only thing that can lead to improvements for V7. So lean on V5 but visit V6 every now and then and rant if it still isn’t good enough. If YOU ain’t happy, then probably a lot of other users are quietly experiencing the same too.

7 Likes

OP: Your chair model causes a big hit.

As an experiment, I hid the chairs, and made 40 copies of everything else, which is not much; the performance is much better.

For now, I suggest making a nurbs chair model so that rending mesh can be changed at will. You can lower the rending mesh while you work, and swap out a set with better meshes to render.

(This is why I asked for the imposter system in the block manager.)

I strongly suspect that V6 may do something different as far as its handing of standard polygon meshes, if I understand the original poster.

Also, I recommend keeping your laptop, open, propped up on something, or on a mesh stand to improve airflow, as keeping air coming through the laptop will keep it from throttling.

Additionally, you might check your Nvidia control panel and check all of your global video settings, as you might be forcing other effects/features such as anosotropic filtering. If you had made exceptions for V5, of course those settings would not granted to V6.

Lastly, 4K is a lot of rendering pixels for any laptop short of GTX 1070/1080 class variants. The issue that comes to play is memory bandwidth–even if there isn’t much to the scene.

I think having IntelHD cards and expecting great performance in modern 3D software may be not a good idea.
It’s nice they are supported but if you really plan to do efficient work, you need to rely on better video card.

Having said that, looked at your model too. The number of individual object is what often causes a big speed hit (even though in V6 its much much better than V5 in that regard).
For this specific model, try joining your chair meshes (_Join) - either all together, or per-chair, or per-chaiur-layer (not sure what level of control you need for these) - but with many less meshes, you should see major speed gains.

–jarek

1 Like

over here, results of everything in your file ON, running the testmaxspeed command:

original:
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 1.05 seconds. (95.51 FPS)
after joining meshes
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 0.20 seconds. (492.61 FPS)

5x speed gain. Many times it could be 10x, 20x…

2 Likes

Only a 516% performance increase? You call that a solution?

: )

I don’t think a software care because the monitor can be hooked up physically on one graphiccard but the software on that screen can be powered by the other card. So make sure Rhino is sat to use the geforce! You control that in the GeForce drivers.

2 Likes

You should try a value like 0.0001, which effectively translates to one frame per 10000 seconds (that is a little over 166 and a half minutes) before degradation kicks in. Practically that turns it off.

If you still see degrading after setting to the value Nathan suggests, please let us know as that would be a bug that we need to fix

Is GPU tessellation enabled? Did you reset WireThicknessScale back to 1? Another option to try is the TestLineSmoothing command to see if it makes a difference. Other than that I’m goong to need something more than “lousy” to go on to be able to help.

Especially since you are already way above 60 fps😀

@jesterking

I ungrouped the chair, joined the meshes, and grouped again with the point.
Then I made 20x20 copies using rectangular array.
All display modes do work fine and fast.

But not Raytraced.

It starts, and then it simply doesn’t do anything.
Taskmanager shows 1% GPU load, 1% CPU load.
GTX1060/6GB