Rhino 6 freezing and crashing

Rhino 6 (updated today) is freezing and crashing frequently. It seems that as one problem is addressed another pops up. So far it has crashed:

While changing viewports. I addressed this by hiding the geometry that seemed to be slowing it down.
While starting up. I addressed this by opening older versions of the file, then, when that stopped working, opening files in safe mode. I also unplugged my external monitor and that seemed to help.
While loading Grasshopper. I tried GrasshopperLoadOneByOne but no matter how many plugins I removed it just kept crashing.

I also checked the Nvidia settings and though the integrated graphics card is primary the McNeel programs are set to prefer the GTX 1060.

System Info:

Rhino 6 SR18 2019-9-23 (Rhino 6, 6.18.19266.14201, Git hash:master @ 3d84f88dec99b2f4e8b7497e739ed2adc2ba8ef6)
License type: Educational, build 2019-09-23
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: MSI

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-18-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 8-16-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 436.02

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8-16-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3602
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Jason - you mentioned that you just updated Rhino 6 - did you have the same problems before updating or is this something that started happening after you updated?

When Rhino crashes, does the crash reporter window pop up? And if so, are you sending in the report?

From your description, it sounds a bit like this might be model-specific. Is that correct or do those problems also appear when you create a new file from a factory-default template?

As for the GPU, what’s important for Rhino is the Primary OpenGL device, which, in your case is correctly set to the GeForce card.
-wim

I think the problems started occurring after I updated Rhino 6. The crash window only pops up when I attempt to load Grasshopper, otherwise the program just freezes. I sent in a few of those reports.

I have had model-specific issues before, but I also started having problems loading the factory-default template.

I loaded the components from C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries to a public computer that is managed by my department at school. I think that computer has a slightly older copy of Rhino 6. The computer is wiped with every restart, which happens at least once daily. The only plugin that it has is V-Ray Neui. I was able to load my files and run Grasshopper with no issue.

Hi Jason - you might try setting your system, via the nVidia panel, to use ‘high performance’ - that is, use the nvidia card all the time and run like that for a while to see if it makes any difference.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I gave this a shot. It didn’t change the behavior. If Rhino opens on the additional monitor it freezes, but if it opens on the laptop screen it loads fine. This is true when I open my model and when I am just loading the default template.

Incidentally, it seems like I just (in the last hour) did a fairly major Windows update (“This will take a while. Your computer will restart multiple times.”), but that didn’t seem to address any of the issues.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason - what is the connection to the external monitor?

-Pascal

HDMI to a Samsung S27C650

Hi Jason - it might be worth starting from scratch with both video drivers - uninstall and do a complete clean install for both Nvidia and the Intel, with the latest from your laptop’s website or the NVidia and Intel ones.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, I gave that a shot and it didn’t work. I ended up doing a full uninstall (including registry keys and program folders) of both Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. I just did a fresh install of Rhino 6 and it appears to be working now. I’ll let you know if issues continue to pop up.

I spoke too soon. It’s behaving exactly as it did before.

Hi Jason - there is a potential fix here:

-Pascal

@pascal That’s not all that different than what he’s already done.

@jasonlin, I’d like to see if we can at least isolate this to “multiple GPUs” … Please go into the DeviceManager as you did before, and for the Intel GPU, instead of “Uninstall device”, please select “Disable device”… Screen may flicker a bit, but it should settle down… do not reboot.

Start Rhino and run SystemInfo again… I’m looking to make sure that Rhino only sees one GPU…your NVidia… If so, then please continue as usual and see if/when Rhino crashes.

-J

@Pascal My bad… You were referring to the Nahimic OSD issue… yes, I suppose that’s also a possibility.

@jasonlin, Are you using more than one monitor? If so, unplug one of them and see if you can still crash Rhino… If you can’t, then it’s possible you have the Nahimic.dll installed on your system…

-J

I disabled Nahimic and that seems to have fixed everything for now.