V6 freezing

I am also suffering constant freezes in rhino 6 trial version, it freezes my whole computer and I have to shut it down.

I have the latest trial version of rhino 6.

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M (NVidia) Memory: 3GB, Driver date: 3-17-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.67

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 2x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-17-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1967
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 3 GB

Machine is running win 10 - this is probably the culprit.

Hi - Windows 10 should be just fine but it might be that there are updates for Win that are semi-installed or a recent update that did “something” to the display drivers.

Could you please post the entire SystemInfo report?
Also, does Rhino freeze when you start in safe mode? Does it happen for a specific model or also immediately when you launch Rhino?

I have all the updates installed and the display drivers I update myself - they are the most current ones.

Here’s the rest of it:

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Evaluation, build 2019-02-27
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2019-04-28

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\XNurbs\XNurbsRhinoSetup\XNurbsRhino.rhp “XNurbs”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I never used safe mode.

It happens randomly - sometimes every 30 mins.

I’d say it’s connected to how heavy the model being displayed is.

Another reason could be that I need to reinstall windows on this machine (last time I did it was 4 years ago)

It sounds like it is hard to reproduce this issue, but, typically, you have to reboot your machine 5 times a day because of this?

You have used Rhino 6 for about 2 months now, has the problem always been there or has anything changed recently?

It would be hard for me to remember exactly, I was hoping there was a hotfix for this issue but since this is not the case I will keep testing it and let you know if I find out the actual issue.

many thanks.

Does this coincide with autosave kicking in?

Also see if the problem persists if you disable XNurbs.

I would disqualify autosave as once it happened right after starting.

Xnurbs could actually be the problem but I can’t tell for sure.

thanks

Hence my question to try some time without XNurbs. In Tools > Options > Plug-ins right-click the XNurbs plug-in and choose the load protection entry. Restart Rhino and try for a good amount of time until you think you are sure it either still happens or no longer happens. Then please report back.

Thanks for your time!

I guess you were right, no further freezes to report after not starting xnurbs in rhino 6 today.

Then @XNurbs needs to be made aware that the plug-in causes freezes of Rhino.

I wouldn’t say it’s a 100 percent conclusion, and since noone else reported this but me I would say my win installation needs to be refreshed first.

Also my first suspect was rhino 6 automatic update thingy.

Maybe not, but always good to investigate :slight_smile:

COLUMBO

Yes, I will keep using xnurbs and let you know if I find out.

regards.

We checked with @Vladimir_Aleksic. After disabling XNurbs, Rhino was not used as usual (is basically not used). Vladimir rendered a complex model in keyshot 8 (texture mapping and displacement. Rhino was just running in the background while rendering). So it may not make sense “the plug-in causes freezes of Rhino”.

It is impossible for XNurbs to cause the freeze of Windows: the plugin only has about 2000 lines of code and the only graphics code in XNurbs comes from @dale (for previewing surfaces). It has no chance to cause the freeze of Windows.

XNurbs reliability is way above the industrial software standard and basically has zero bugs (The only two “bugs” reported are actually Rhino’s problems.)

If I were you, for the freeze of Windows (user’s computer is frozen), I would suggest users to check the graphics and hardware …

Hello, I am having this same issue of random hard resets in rhino(2-5/day). This can be when working in small models or large models, even doing simple operations like placing points. This issue does not occur in rhino 5, only in rhino 6. This issue seemed to appear about 1-2 months ago. I have tried 2 different graphics cards to no avail. By reading the previous replies, I think it may be a windows update related issue.

Rhino 6 SR14 2019-4-28 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19118.15561, Git hash:master @ 8f0a84997c310a7ec1a42cf2704da8daa33e3e21)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-04-28
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Danny Karas (SOM_Firmwide)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: CHW319

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 5-5-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.64

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 2x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-5-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3064
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Users\Danny.karas\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Enscape\Bin64\Enscape.Rhino6.Plugin.dll “Enscape.Rhino.Plugin” 2.5.19093.934
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Sorry, a “hard reset” doesn’t mean anything specific or actionable to me.

When Rhino V6 crashes, does the Rhino crash reporting system come up?
If so, are you adding your email address and description of what you were trying to do when Rhino crashed?
With your email address, a developer can look up the specific crash report and look at the details.
With no crash report, we’re stuck.

“Hard Reset” meaning the software doesn’t crash. It locks up the computer completely. My email is danny.karas@som.com.

Then we’re stuck.
The only thing I see in your System Info is VRay.
If you can disable that and run long enough to see if Rhino freezes, then that’s a possibility.