Rhino 6 for Mac: A tentative release date

Was already done - a year ago. For 3 months you could have bought a V6 upgrade at that price back then.

Itā€™s done for the windows worldā€¦ but for Mac users it should be again for a limited time,ā€¦ since we lagging behind
I wasnā€™t aware that weā€™re treated differentlyā€¦

Youā€™re not, thatā€™s the point. A V6 license is for Windows and Mac. So a V6 upgrade discount now would be for everyone, Windows users included.

1 Like

well just for the mac licensesā€¦

There arenā€™t any V6 ā€œjust for Macā€ licensesā€¦

I think he means upgrade based on v5 Mac license. Sounds fair to me. Mac v5 have different kind of product numbers if I remember well so then it should be possible to distinguish between Mac and win v5

thatā€™s what I meant :slightly_smiling_face:

I understood exactly what he means. You have to look at in the opposite direction. There is only one V6 upgrade license. So McNeel would have to create a second ā€œspecialā€ V6 upgrade that would only allow to be upgraded from Mac V5 and not Windows V1-5. Thatā€™s actually quite complicated to put in place for a fairly limited benefit.

But, yes we are being treated differently. Windows users had the opportunity to buy a V6 license for $395. We donā€™t. We we supposed to know a year ago that Mac and Windows were going to use the same license keys? I donā€™t think even McNeel knew that then. So if our upgrade is going to be $495 then we are being treated differently then Windows users were back then.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry but I donā€™t see your point.
Iā€™m not a reseller only a rhino lovers.
a Mac users got the first license for ā‚¬95, the second for around ā‚¬400 and the tirdh for less than ā‚¬500.(@Helvetosaur can give exact nuns)
A win user only have the full, ā‚¬995,00, license.
Do your math and stop complaining.

before this goes any deeper into the crap hole. mac users had a long time of not being on par with the windows version, basically still are not. no further math needed.

1 Like

Some Mac user may have paid ā‚¬95, but I didnā€™t. Iā€™m sorry you feel somehow slighted by that.

The Windows license may be more, but Windows users GET more, too. Itā€™s well documented on the McNeel pages the differences between Windows and Mac Rhino. Some of those things may mean more to one person than others but they are still differences in how the product works and what it can do.

I just purchased a V6 upgrade license for $395 here:
https://novedge.com/products/2050 (authorized reseller).

I donā€™t intend to use it on Windows but I downloaded and installed it on my pc to make sure the license is good and all works as expected.

I should be all set when V6 for Mac is released in a few days.

1 Like

Hey, cool! Thanks for that.

iirc, it was $295 at introduction

(iā€™m not giving an opinion on the upgrade cost, iā€™ll pay whatever it is McNeel will be charging to go to V6ā€¦ itā€™s a good deal either way to meā€¦ just saying i donā€™t think there was ever a ā‚¬95 offer for a fresh Mac licenseā€¦ maybe if you were an existing licensed Windows user?)

Iā€™ve been wondering if we should adjust that page to also show things that are only available on Mac like versions and dark mode support.

1 Like

Correct.

Also correct. The 95ā‚¬$ was a special offer for Windows users who wanted to switch to Mac when V5 for Mac was first introduced. That started about a month before V5 for Mac was officially announced (June 2015). The introductory price was then 295ā‚¬$ for a couple of months after that, then it went to the normal price of 495ā‚¬$. There was a later price rise to 695ā‚¬$ at the beginning of 2017 - I think because Grasshopper and a few other things were finally added.

The prices above are of course MSRP from McNeel, not the hard-discounter, market crasher prices that certain retailers in certain regions practice.

2 Likes

You did. A few of my Mac customers actually bought one back then.

Yes they did. And it was announced publicly.

Yeah, I got mine over a year ago.

Philip

2 Likes

Please do work on the performance issues some of us are experiencing.

Rhino was always a very fast piece of software, using the system resources it was running on very intelligently. Please try to maintain as you update the software also in v6.

Where the performance is really lacking:
scrolling, opening and closing views, open named view panel, changing display modes, texturizing a geometry. Most of that feels and is in fact much slower on v6 than in v5.

Important: please also make sure that opening a dwg is painless and fast, even if it is a compicated and large file. Most of our manufacturers here in Italy send us dwgs which we use as references to our 3d designs. They also send us technical details, floor plans, sections ecc. - all in dwg, which I have to say is the best exchange file method for 2d technical drawings.

We also do our architectual and design drawings (talking about 2d) mostly in Rhinoceros, which saves us time and we do not need and want to use another software for only 2d drawing.