Rhino 5 For Mac, How Far Away Until Rhino 6 Is Released?

Rhino 5 For Mac, How Far Away Until Rhino 6 Is Released? Im looking to purchase Rhino 5 for Mac but don’t want to get caught at the end of an older version and have to pay for the new up grade as I see Rhino 5.5 version has been released. Thanks appreciate any feedback cheers

We’re anticipating sometime this year (2019).

If you buy a full license (not an upgrade), it will be a V6 license.

Part of that new license purchase will enable you to claim a “Legacy V5 for Mac license key”, so you’ll be able to run V5 now, and V6 when it is released.

Thats great news, thanks for the quick response back, much appreciated.

Does that mean the Rhino 5 Mac commercial license I just purchased today will count as a V6 license?

Nope, not at all. You can purchase a full Rhino V6 (Windows+Mac) license now and get a “legacy” V5 for Mac license for free - but not the other way around. Contact your reseller if you want to return the V5 for Mac license and exchange it for a V6 license. It will cost more now, but the total is less at the end, if you count the initial V5 for Mac license cost plus the future upgrade cost to V6.

I purchased directly from McNeel. Wish I had read the forums first to see this information.

Please contact sales@mcneel.com directly and see if they can do anything for you.

I see you placed your order today, while the office is closed.
They won’t sell you a V5. They will sell you a V6 as @Helvetosaur described.
You’ll be able to add it to your cloud zoo personal licenses just like you added your V6 eval key.
Then you can use the link on the Support page to claim a V5 Mac legacy key.
In Mac Rhino, you can use the Change your license button and switch from the mac eval to your permanent key you get using the Legacy key link.

I am thoroughly confused at this point. Hopefully on Monday I will get some clarity.

I just got back into town.
Are you sorted?
Now does it make sense?

Please confirm if I have it right.

1. Users who buy now Rhino for Mac purchase the Rhino 5 for Mac and they will have to buy an upgrade to Rhino 6 for Mac is released. Will this upgrade allow them to switch to Rhino 6 for Windows?

2. Users who buy now Rhino 6 for Windows can use either Rhino 6 for Windows or Rhino 5 for Mac. When Rhino 6 for Mac is released, they will be able use it as well.

@JSchindler
No, not quite.

Rhino 6 is the license we’re selling now.
It is not platform specific.
The Rhino 6 license will work for either Windows or Mac V6 Rhino.

V6 for Mac is not yet released.
A user buys a new V6 license and they can claim a V5 Windows or V5 Mac license to go with it. Then they can use old, discontinued Windows plug-ins like T-Splines, or they can use Mac V5 until V6 Mac is released.

They will not need to purchase an upgrade as they already will own a V6 license.

The currently available Rhino for Mac is V. 5. What happens when a user buys it now? Will they need to buy an upgrade to V. 6 when it is released?

As far as I know, yes.

@JSchindler
Why not give Seattle Sales a call and get these details sorted?
They will be here until 5pm PDT.

Ok, let me try to clarify it again.

1. It is not possible to buy Rhino 6 for Mac now. Therefore the users who want Rhino for Mac have to buy Rhino 5 for Mac. When Rhino 6 for Mac is released, they will have to buy an upgrade.

2. Whoever buys Rhino 6 license (which is now called Rhino 6 for Windows), can use it with Rhino 6 for Windows, or Rhino 5 for Windows, or Rhino 5 for Mac. It will also work with Rhino 6 for Mac when it is released,

Is that right?

No…

Rhino 6 licenses do not work for either Rhino 5 for Mac or for Rhino 5 for Windows.

But if you buy a full license (not an upgrade) of V6, you can get a free “legacy” V5 license for Mac or Windows via the main website (once you have validated your V6 license).

I might have made the same mistake I thought I was purchasing a V6 licence can you tell if this is a V6 licence for Mac: Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.5.3 (5F88)
Rhinoceros path: /Applications/Rhinoceros.app
IronPython version: not installed
Language: en-CA (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G6030)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Look at your paid invoice.
It will have that detail.

Or contact Sales and they can look it up based on your email address.

It is Rhino 5 for Mac.