For those who have been closely following the development, there have been a number of late-stage BETA optimizations that we have been working on that did not make it into the initial release. But fear not…
Very soon™ We will be publishing published the first Rhino 6 for Mac SR17 Release Candidate. This will contains many of the bug fixes and display pipeline optimizations we have been working on.
Edit: Even if not for everyone, maybe something for those of us that have put so much time into helping with beta testing. To have put so much time into it, it required using v6 on several projects. We are now in a situation where we have a load of files in v6 format. It’s leaving a bit of bad taste at a time when money is sadly quite tight.
This decision was made some time ago.
It was based on a lot of different factors including, but not limited to, the reduced commercial price of V5 for Mac, and the benefits of one V6 license working for both Windows and Mac V6.
When V7 is released, and we hope to release Mac and Windows V7 together, there may be reduced initial release pricing as we have done in the past, but that decision will be made as that time gets closer.
Sure, I’m aware of that reasoning. I disagree though. While v5 for Mac was reduced, my understanding is that it was reduced because it had many features missing. Indeed, as far as I’m aware, v6 for Mac hasn’t achieved feature parity with v6 for windows.
Less capable software cost less and during 4 years or so, less functionality has been available. Yet windows users got a discount for upgrading.
I’d argue that the reduced price when v5 for Mac was launched has been more than covered by the reduced functionality over the intervening years. That’s not to mention all the time and effort many of us have contributed to beta testing v6 for Mac.
Given the aim to update to v7 at the same time for both platforms, Mac users will get less use out of the upgrade. So maybe next year or perhaps 2021 we will then need to upgrade again having had 1.5 years less use of the v6 upgrade than windows users for what is arguably still a less capable product.
So to summarise, we are paying more for something that we are going to get less use out of. I’m not asking for something better than the windows discount, just the same.
Upgrading is optional. You are free to wait until Rhino 7. We do not penalize users if they skip a version.
Others have explained the situation well, I think. If we offered a promotional price (again) for a Rhino 6 license, we would have to offer it to all Windows users as well since - from a licensing standpoint -they are the same product. But it sounds like you know all this already. I’m sorry you missed out on the promo price when we offered it.
If you really feel like you have been wronged here, please contact email@example.com.
This is wenatchee bug and must have feature for all people collaborating on projects/importing external dwg files - see attachments.
Missing basic Layers sorting feature was originally promised to be fixes in wenatchee (old forum), then in the final OS X release, then in the 5.X release, final 6.0 release and now? Nothing.
From my point of view, I’m much more interested in the ability to organize (group) Named Views and Cplanes manually, for the reasons outlined in 2015 here:
Edit: and in looking at the YouTrack, and to be fair, I think the scope got distorted unintentially. It is/was “heavy handed” to alphabetize by force (counterproductive) yet the YouTrack resolution missed the utility and point of the ability to manually organize, IMO, such as one may do with Layers. (I do realize an approximation may be accomplished via rename/alphabetize.)