Rhino 6 Display Modes: Adding a Silhouette in Rendered display mode

Hi, I have a suggestion in regards to the display modes in Rhino 6 that I believe could be useful for an even more efficient workflow for designers. The Pen Display mode (for example) has the capability to add a silhouette outline around the objects. Is there any way to introduce this for the Rendered display mode? Obviously, there are some several work arounds to achieve this style for a still image but can it happen while navigating the 3D model?

Hi Kono - currently, there is no way of doing this, no. There are some intentions to merge the Technical display modes with the regular display modes at some point in the future.
-wim

Hi Kono,
I believe you can tweak the Technical mode to work almost like rendered, with Silhouettes. There may be a few limitations but in general you can get material color shading, cast shadows etc. and still have the silhouettes and intersections included. For sure it would not work on per-object assignment case, but as a similar to Rendered but with silhouettes definitely should work.
Here is a sample mode - you can import it via Options > View:
RenderedTechnical.ini (11.5 KB)

hth,

–jarek

Hi Jarek,

Yes, that is a technique that I have used when I do not have transparencies involved. Only problem is when any object is behind a transparent material, the edges of the object disappears making it difficult to see.

Thanks!
Yu

This is absolutely a wish of mine also.

My projects include a mix of mesh and nurbs objects, and to have both types of objects display clearly when curves/object edges are visible in display modes such as ‘Shaded’ it is very challenging.

My preference would be to hide mesh wires and just have mesh objects with a silhouette, while nurbs objects display an edge thickness. Cheers!