Rhino 6 Consistently Freezes

We have been running rhino 6 for nearly 2 years with no issues, however lately when loading our model it will go unsreponsive on loading. However It will run after a fresh restart of the laptop. It usually just stays in hibernaton but overnight Rhino will not load the following day without restarting the laptop.

-Latest rhino update
-Latest drivers
Running Hp ZBook 15u G5.

Cheers

Run “_SystemInfo” and post the results.
Hopefully something obvious will show up.

Rhino 6 SR29 2020-8-25 (Rhino 6, 6.29.20238.11501, Git hash:master @ 06b936ae4e8c289ecccfd6b5ee9bacccc60eded1)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-08-25
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Scott Lane ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: SLB-109915

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-5-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: AMD Radeon Pro WX 3100 (AMD) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 6-10-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.13596 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL 20.Q2.1 27.20.1023.1001

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 6-10-2020
Driver Version: 27.20.1023.1001
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.29.20238.11501
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.29.20238.11501
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.29.20238.11501
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.29.20238.11501
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thanks,

Any autodesk products installed?
Specifically autodesk genuine services?
Saw 2 really weird crash/ un response issues caused by that in the last week.

we do have autrocad 2019 installed, but they have been running simultaneously for some time. Will remove autocad and see if anything helps.

Cheers

don’t remove autocad… just autodesk genuine services.

see below-
here is the link the users IT department used to fix the autodesk genuine services issue-
https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/Autodesk-Genuine-Service-69585a26def26cd79ffc56cab36cc5da-application.htm advanceduninstaller.com
Autodesk Genuine Service version 3.2.18 by Autodesk - How to uninstall it
How to uninstall Autodesk Genuine Service Version 3.2.18 by Autodesk? Learn how to remove Autodesk Genuine Service Version 3.2.18 from your computer.

advanceduninstaller.comadvanceduninstaller.com

Autodesk Genuine Service version 3.2.18 by Autodesk - How to uninstall it

How to uninstall Autodesk Genuine Service Version 3.2.18 by Autodesk? Learn how to remove Autodesk Genuine Service Version 3.2.18 from your computer.

have had no luck so far still continues to become unresponsive after x amount of time

you have your intel set to be the primary…
hybrid systems suck for modeling because they prioritize battery life over performance. …

you’ll need to force your nvidia to be primary, usually in the machines power settings, possibly also in the nvidia control panel.

nuclear option is disabling the intel in the device manager.

the intel only has 1gb of vram and is likely pooping it pants when faced with anything challenging in rhino, the hand off to the nvidia is not happening smoothly and that is the glitch you are seeing.

Hi Kyle,

I have updated the bios, unfortunately there is only the option to run hybrid or the intel card, no option to run the radeon card alone. I have changed power settings to max performance. I can see when loading rhino (Through task manager) that the Radeon card is doing most the work any way so must be switching cards .

Sometimes Rhino will load the model but as soon as I go to orbit or move anything on screen it freezes and becomes un responsive.

I can only think it could be the latest rhino update? Who do i get in touch with at McNeel as this is beinning to interupt our workflow.

Thanks for your help,

go to your device manager, try disabling the intel if you can.

also please check tools>options>view>opengl and make sure your radeon is listed as the device rhino is using not the intel.

Hi Kyle,

Yes openGL settings are set to radeon, and I have disabled intel drivers before but screen resolution gets smaller and the options to change the resolution become greyed out. What i will do is try disable it when rhino becomes unresponsive and see if it then launches correctly.

I fail to understand why the hybrid graphics would be an issue after over a year of trouble free use?

Thanks for your efforts so far!

Intel hd graphics are a hassle like that… they work, then don’t then will work again, then crash, then do some other crazy stuff… it has a lot to do with the fact they only have 1gb of vram, and they are not great for open gl stuff to begin with. I get the same question about parallels … “but it worked fine for x amount of time…” they only thing I can say is they will have problems at some point… where that point is varies for each user… but…eventually you’ll see why we don’t recommend them.

Are you by chance running pc rhino on a mac using bootcamp?

Hi Kyle,

No running on a dedicated windows machine. This morning when it didn’t load I disabled intel graphics. Rhino did load but the viewing window almost looks pixelated or as if the lines are jaggered. When orbiting the model it is very slow.

I then re enabled the intel graphics and restarted rhino and it loaded flawless and and hd model as it should. Unsure of what couse of action we should take now. No other fix for this issue on this machine you can think of?

What laptop would be more suitiable if you had any recommendations ?

ok, re-enable the intel, but go to the power settings windows control panel and set it to maximum performance. then go to the amd settings and look for anything that lets you choose to run on the radeon as opposed to the intel.

What we want is to minimize the intel’s interference in the open gl pipeline.

Maybe this will help:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017

re enabled, removed all drivers and updated to the latest hp drivers for intel and latest amd drivers for radeon, still the same issue. Power settings are at max performance for everything. Very frustrating

Is this happening with specific models of yours or does Rhino freeze if you start a new model and make something simple like a box?

Hi Scott.
I’m having exactly the same kind of problem.
Did you solve it finally?

Best Regards,
:slight_smile: Thomas Rudolph