Resizing pop-up toolbar

Hi Pascal does this cascading feature work in Rhino 7 or this that just coming to Rhino 8, ive followed your instructions but my popups don’t cascade out.

Hi Tommy- this is all V8/WIP.

-Pascal

RH-70586 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Hi Brian,

I just downloaded the latest WIP and tried this out. The tooltips are working fine now on my machine.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello,
I tried cascading on v8 PC… but it’s seem i could not open it on MAC…is it available?
What the name to choose to assign in on middle mouse? because by default I see only the old v7 popuptoolbar

Thanks

Hi Pascal - Has any decision been made on the direction that’ll be taken with this one yet?

Hi @pascal, I’ve been working with the new cascade toolbar in the WIP for a while now, and I’ve got to agree with MattE on this. The new cascading popup toolbar, which is larger and cannot be anchored, tabbed, or reproportioned is “suboptimal” compared to the popup toolbar in v7.

The “fast cascading” action on the new WIP popup doesn’t seem to save any time at all, especially if you have many cascading menus which get in each other’s way.

3 Likes

Hi Mike - thanks for the feedback, I’ll see what can be done.

-Pascal

1 Like

adjust its size here:

this is on the list as RH-71569 Popup Toolbar size and behavior

1 Like

Hi @Gijs - can you add a request to that YouTrack for the reinstatement of tabs for the popup toolbar? Previously it’s been possible to assign any toolbar, or toolbar collection, to the popup function and that is a very useful, flexible, user-definable facilty. The current implementation in v8 is a reduction of this utility.

Surely it must be possible to allow assignment of a ‘container’ to the MMB popup? If it ain’t bust, don’t fix it…

@MattE I think it destroys the way it works now if we would do that. You can assign any toolbar to a button to cascade, so let’s say you want to popout 3 possible toolbars, then assign those to 3 buttons on your popup toolbar. Would that work for you? (assuming the cascading issue gets fixed)

@Gijs - This is my current setup for the MMB popup:

Popup 01

Popup 02

Popup 03

Popup 04

This is v5, but I’ve got virtually the same thing going on in v7.

All of them a mere flick of the scroll wheel away once I’ve clicked the MMB. I very rarely need to venture to the docked toolbars. On a multi-screen setup, the reduction in mouse miles is massive. Focus is always on the part of the model/drawing on which I’m working. The tabs make things dumbed-down modal; the tab displayed is remembered from the previous use, so if I’m in ‘dimensioning mode’ I get the dims tab, no matter whether I’m in model space or Layouts.

What’s currently going on in v8 just can’t compete with this level of functionality, if I understand it correctly.

What would be beneficial would be the ability to use the vectored button graphics in v8 to user-set the colour scheme (button background colour would be No.1, IMHO) in ‘clusters’ so that the user can group collections of buttons with associated functions in the users own mind map - not necessarily what Rhino defines. The tabs I’ve shown have clusters of associations within each tab in my own mind map. Others may not see that, but that doesn’t matter, as it’s me that doing the work :smile:

Hi @Gijs,

Yes, I’m aware of the button size slider, but there is a considerable amount of dead space between buttons compared to the v7 version of the popup. That’s what I mean when I say that the cascading popup toolbar is larger.

Unfortunately, the current WIP popup does not work well when it is only populated by cascading menus. the automatically cascading sub-toolbars overlap each other, sometimes making navigation impossible. The automatically opening popups also sometimes make it difficult to move from one toolbar to the next without changing the open sub-toolbar when you accidentally scroll over another button.

Please see my images and discussion with Pascal above.

yes I know, this I communicated to the dev already.

I have to ask, I don’t know why that has been designed this way.

1 Like

To all:
I just had a short discussion with the dev about this and he mentioned that things are still not set in stone. This UI work is huge, and first focus has been on getting a stable working cross platform UI. Refinement, cleanup and customization will come next. We still encourage you to try out the new way this is set up, next to the feedback you are giving now.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update @Gijs. This is exactly why it’s so great the McNeel is so transparent with the WIP process. Getting a UI that is stable and the same across both Win and Mac is fantastic, and will certainly help us teach Rhino 8 more effectively.

I’m certainly open to new ways of using this popup. It’s also important for you and the devs to really understand how we are using this part of the interface already. (which may not resemble the dev’s original intent! :rofl: )

1 Like

Is there any progress to report with the Popup toolbar in v8, or a youtrack reference where we can see what’s being progressed?

I just loaded WIP and find that I cannot use my pop up for some of the same reasons stated above. I have worked lightining fast with all standard and side bar toolbars closed for years, with only the pop up and key commands. Now I cannot open most of the sub menus under each category in the center of my menu since I cross over others to reach the edge where the sub menu appears, making others appear and the operation I need out of reach. I’m going to have to stick with 7 until options other than a multilayer complete rebuild are available. Kills my productivity. I was excited to try it out, but need continuity.

2 Likes

Hi @Matt_McConnell and @MattE this was written up earlier by Pascal here