Resizing pop-up toolbar

Is there a way to resize the Popup toolbar in Rhino 8 WIP? In Rhino 7 I can pin the toolbar and then resize it however I want. In Rhino 8, I can’t pin the toolbar anywhere and I can’t control the overall size of it either.

Rhino 7
Rhino 7 popup

Rhino 8

This only lets me change the size of the buttons within the toolbar.
Popup toolbar Sz 24

Is there a way to control the proportions of the toolbar itself? The buttons in my toolbar make logical groupings when the toolbar is 4 across x 8 down.

Is there any reason why the tool tips are no longer visible for the buttons in the popup menu? I have several custom right-clicks in my toolbar, and it’s useful to be able to see what is the left and right-click versions of each button. Can this be added back?

On close inspection, it seems that the tool tips occasionally show up when I cascade out a sub-menu in the popup menu. This action is rare and fleeting. The tooltip with the sub-menu name flashes too quickly to read. The buttons themselves never show the tooltip, only the little cascade corner on the button.

Also, just re-posting the question, is there a way to control the # of columns and rows of the popup toolbar? I find this feature in Rhino 7 very helpful in organizing the popup toolbar.

Hi Mike - you might have to live with this, I’m afraid - when the pop-up shows, it is not in any container (which is why you cannot resize it) so it only shows some calculated format. If you float a version of it (Window menu > Toolbars > “PopUp”) it will be in a container that you can resize but this does not affect it’s popped-up state, so to speak. At the moment this is a handicap in the new system and I am not sure what, if anything can be done, but I’ll ask.

-Pascal

Thanks for letting me know, @pascal. Honestly the popup toolbar (Rhino 6/7 version) has been game changing for our workflow, making so many tools accessible without needing to type commands or hunt for buttons or dropdowns. Being able to customize this toolbar has made our students faster and more able to reliably find the right tools.

I’m not pleased with the inability to resize the toolbar, but I can live with it. Will it always be 6 buttons across?

However, not being able to show the tooltips is a real barrier for teaching new users. This honestly makes the popup toolbar considerably less useful for the workflow that we currently teach.

Being able to customize the right-clicks on this toolbar makes it possible to populate a small/dense toolbar with the majority of our commonly used tools. But if students can’t see what the left/right clicks are, then the popup toolbar becomes practically useless. Please reconsider the use of tooltips in the popup toolbar.

1 Like

Hi Mike - you can edit the pop up by showing it from Window> Toolbar … add or remove buttons as needed. V8 popup cascades included flyout toolbars on mouseover, so it should be fast and efficient to use even with toolbars nested in it.

But as far as I can see here, tooltips do show on the pop-up. Do you not see any at all?

-Pascal

1 Like

I get rare, occasional flickering on the tooltips. For the most part, I get none.

Also, why is your toolbar 4 tools across while mine is 6? 4 would be perfect!

Hi Mike - if you hesitate a little longer, does the tooltip eventually show up?

I think the pop up calculatorizer tries to make roughly a square.

-Pascal

I’m now seeing that the tooltip problem is global, not just the popup toolbar. So this may be a sepparate issue for my computer.

Here’s a copy of my SystemInfo to be safe.
Rhino 8 SR0 2022-10-4 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.22277.12305, Git hash:master @ c1431b875fa2bfebc0a16c88bb959d6070d51d85)
License type: Educational Lab License, build 2022-10-04
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2022-11-18

Windows 10 (10.0.18363 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-1-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #2
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 with Max-Q Design (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 9-12-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 517.40
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-12-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.1740
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\mmagee\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\8.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.3\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.3.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Constraints.rhp “Constraints”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoRoslyn.rhp “RhinoRoslyn” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCPython.rhp “RhinoCPython” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.0.22277.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\ConstraintsUI.rhp “Constraints UI” 8.0.22277.12305

Yeah, I just heard from the developer that we use system (Windows) tooltips, no longer custom ones.

-Pascal

I guess I’m not sure what this means. Does that mean that this is the new “normal” for tooltips? If that’s the case then teaching Rhino to beginners is going to get very tricky. :frowning:

Hi Mike - it used to be that we (Rhino) made its own tooltips and we could set the timing on it, but we no longer do, so whatever windows is doing for tooltips should, as I understand it, be what you see. But, do you see tooltips in general on toolbars in Rhino except on the pop-up?

-Pascal

I’m getting the same flickering tooltips on the Main and Standard toolbars as I am on the popup. (See 2nd video above)

I see, thanks. That looks wrong indeed,

@curtisw - do you have an idea? See the tooltips disappearing too fast on the clip here

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal. If that’s true, it’s really REALLY bad news for me. I am heavily dependent on the PopUp in the way I use Rhino. So much so, my existing PopUp is 8 x 7 buttons, and it’s also tabbed. It saves me so many mouse miles. I reckon more than 90% of the commands I call are made from it.

PLEASE reconsider this move.

I asked about editing the PopUp in this post back in September, but didn’t get a response:

1 Like

I just can’t stand this. The layout is too messy, so I have to find another way

Hi Matt, Mike - It sounds like we might need to institute PopUpContainer, that would handle it.
RH-70733 Containers: PopUpContainer

-Pascal

2 Likes

The advantages of this panel are that it can be started by command, the button color can be set, and the last button clicked can be remembered.The space bar repeats the last button clicked function。
so I think the rhinoceros UI is really messy,Customized performance is not as good as CAD
This is my way
This panel simulates the DCL panel operation mode in AutoCAD

I basically gave up the middle button toobar
Only some functions, such as color capture
Middle key toolbar, I only set a small part of the functions
QQ图片20221014093229