Repeated crashes for no apparent reason

I am having repeated crashes on a file.
It simply goes into ‘thinking’ with a spinning blue donut, which still moves when the mouse is moved. After a while the donut freezes, it is not possible to switch to my other app. And i need to force a shut down. No crash report is created, no crash backup is created.
Last crash I was simply zooming.

Any ideas?
N

Technically, these are not crashes. Rhino is still running but clearly not finishing the operation.
Try running the SelBadObjects command.
Fix or replace any bad objects and see if that gets you sorted.
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/badobjects

Any luck?

This could also be a plug-in problem.
Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and return those results in a reply.

Thanks

Thank you John,
No Bad Objects were selected.
Rhino is operating while the blue donut is spinning, I guess. But I can’t do anything with the computer, I can’t switch to another app. After a while, the donut stops and even if I wait long I cannot do anything with the computer.

Here’s the system info.
Rhino 7 SR21 2022-7-27 (Rhino 7, 7.21.22208.13001, Git hash:master @ c31aea87137a5d0de449338a7ef6856f49dd4797)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-07-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19043 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) Iris(R) Graphics 540 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 10-11-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6299
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.5 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 - Build 24.20.100.6299
Driver Date: 10-11-2018
Driver Version: 24.20.100.6299
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.20.rhp “Bongo 2.0”
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\NunoAlmeida\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\IntelDenoiser\0.5.1\IntelDenoiser.Windows.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Windows” 0.1.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\import_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file import: import_ACAD”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

Hi -

I suppose you could try updating the drivers for your GPU but that system is inadequate to be running Rhino 7 on (system requirements).
-wim

Yes, I know it is not ideal :smiley: , but I have run much larger files in Rhino 7 here already. It is not fast but I am slow myself :wink: and it held its own, rarely crashing/hanging.
Not sure what is going on. I started a file from scratch, and it has not happened yet and is well due a crash by the last couple of days standards. I have a colleague working with the (crashing) file on another computer with no problem.
I’ll try update the driver in any case, Thanks, N

Wim is right.
That computer with only an Intel GPU is a potato.
It doesn’t meet Rhino’s minimum system requirements.

An updated driver is the first place to start.
You have to manually get it yourself:

If it still locks up or crashes, then short of buying a supported system, you can dial back the OpenGL requirements but you’ll lose some display abilities in the process.

After you update the driver, and if you continue to have problems:
In Options > View > OpenGL, drag the OpenGL slider back a click to the left and try again.

Hello John,
Thank you. I have made the Intel scan. At first it looks that all is updated and maybe they are, but - in small letters - it actually says that Surface drivers are customized drivers, which should be updated by Microsoft. I have been assuming they are updated automatically, but I’m in the process of verifying that.
I haven’t crashed since the last time I posted (with files from scratch). So, I will keep your OpenGL slider in my pocket.
In any case, thank you.
N