Rhino 7 crashing repeatedly

Hello,
Recently purchased Rhino 7 and it is crashing repeatedly. Both docs I’ve opened new it is the same situation. It crashes after a few hours, then crashes after 30mins, then sooner and sooner each time - now it’s crashing every few minutes.
What is going on? How can I fix this? Tip: I’m not super techy.
Thanks for your assistance.
Amanda

Hi @u3038501
First thing to do, is to run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and post the result here. That will hopefully give an indication of what might be wrong. The usual culprits are outdated graphics drivers and 3rd party plugins, but let’s see your system info and I’m sure someone will be able to help :slight_smile:
-Jakob

Hi Jakob,
Thanks for your quick assistance. That sounds like a plan - SystemInfo below. Crossed fingers it’s a usual culprit with a straightforward fix. Much appreciated :slight_smile:
Amanda

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Educational, build 2022-02-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.8Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [24% battery remaining]

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-10-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6344
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.5 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 - Build 24.20.100.6344
Driver Date: 11-10-2018
Driver Version: 24.20.100.6344
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

It’s one of the usual culprits, but there is not a “straightforward fix”. Your integrated graphics card is woefully underpowered and does not meet the minimum requirements for running Rhino; the driver is also more than 3 years out of date. The computer in general with only 8Gb of RAM is also at the very lower limit.

You might try updating the graphics driver, but I’m not sure how much it will help. Basically your computer is not really suited for running a graphics-intensive CAD program like Rhino.

Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good. I ran Rhino 6 Evaluation for 3 years with no problem, it’s only occurring with the purchased version - does it use more power/graphics, etc?
Amanda

Cool, you managed to get 3 free years use out of what was only supposed to be 90 days…

Yes, Rhino V7 is much more demanding on your graphics card than V6.

Can I restore 6? I was using Grasshopper, Weaverbird and Lands Design plug-ins with no problem on 6, and Rhino 7 is crashing with only simple geometry. Sure did get it for free as long as I could, I’m a student - Revit, AutoCAD and Sketchup offer students their programs for free. I’m thinking now I should’ve gone with Revit rather than spend the hundreds on a program that won’t operate.
Thanks anyway for your assistance.

If you bought a full edu version of V7, you can get a free legacy license of V6 here: Rhino - Access Rhino 6

Brilliant, thank you. I’ll give it a go.