Rendered view breaking up? Rhino 4

I’ve been using Rhino4 occasionally for years as planning/layout for architectural ironwork. Had difficulty getting a good visual of a recent gate project.

Seems to be over-taxing the render function. I have just upgraded my old Win 7pc to new laptop with i9 cpu and rtx 2060 gpu partly to solve this and it has made no difference.
So, is Rhino4 just not up to this and Rhino6 would be better or is there some setting I can change to improve this? Any clues, suggestion?

Thanks so much.

@LyndaM
It appears to be ‘z-fighting’ (two surfaces in the same place) described here:

edit: maybe hide/delete the duplicate

@Fred_C - thanks for the pointer - the second surfaces were on a layer that was locked and hidden - I found a setting in display options that was overiding that.
Thank you!!

1 Like

Nice design :ok_hand:

Thanks @Fred_C - Sorry I typed too soon, it looks ok in the rendered viewport within the program but rendered separately it’s still breaking up, but not consistently every time. Sometimes it looks ok then the next time I run a render it’s as bad as the image I attached before.
edit: I have stripped out any layers that could have overlaid structures.

(thanks on the gates, just spent the summer building them, installed a couple of weeks ago)

@LyndaM Please post your file or a portion of it that shows the problem. Also, “rendered separately”, with what program? …and are you running Rhino 4, SR9, 9 March 2011?

@Fred_C here is one half of the gate, yes Rhino 4 2011
Rendered separately using Rhino’s render but not in the viewport, using the fly-out render.
I have been planning to upgrade Rhino with this new laptop so maybe I just need to do that.
Thanks.

LMD_trinityhalfgate.3dm (13.5 MB)

1 Like

Rhino 4 isn’t going to make much use of that fast, new computer.
V4 was written for Windows XP SP3.
It’s a 32-bit application so it can not use more than 4GB of RAM total.
It uses a very old OpenGL graphics specification and was designed to run on very basic hardware at resolutions common at that time.

Unless you have old plug-ins for V4, give V6 a try.
There’s been a lot of Rhino development in the last 12 years.

I’m getting the same ‘patterns’ you described in 12 year old (@John_Brock 's post) Rhino 4; in Rhino 6 it looks better.
Suggest you download the evaluation of R6 and try it out.

Yes Rhino6 has solved it! I only use Rhino this intensively every couple of years, most of my projects are simpler but yes this is worth upgrading for.
Many thanks.