Reflected Ceiling Plan capability

Very important for the architectural, interior design and set design community. This has been on the wish list for a while now. Here is a thread with details of workarounds that people have been using to get around this:

Wondering if we can add this to Rhino 7?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi - I’ve updated RH-37076 with your request for that feature…
-wim

1 Like

Does anyone other than architects use these reflected ceiling plans?

Personally, I’d be hesitant to add a feature to a general use industrial design surfacing tool that was only useful to architects.
With the extensive Rhino SDK, this seems like a perfect feature for an architectural plug-in package.

Does VisualArq have this?

1 Like

Hello,
I would say shipyards.

1 Like

Set designers.

Interior designers.

2 Likes

I thought industrial designers would design lamps and I imagine they would have to place them in a house, right?:wink:

I’m not an architect or an interior designer, more of a strange mix of industrial designer/mechanical engineer/millwork designer/weird guy, but there’s definitely been occasions where a reflected ceiling plan tool would have been VERY helpful, for showing install locations of sculptural ceiling elements and such. (As well as lighting locations, etc, as mentioned above).

1 Like

No, as far as know VisualArq doesn’t support RC plans, and also bear in mind VisualArq doesn’t support Mac, so even if they implement this feature in the future, many of us will not be able to use it.

Literally every industry that deals with building drawings uses RCPs.

1 Like

Correct; VisualARQ doesn’t do RCP yet… you’d need to ask them how close they are to getting it working

I would defintly use it! I work in film and the lack of this feature frustrates me hugely

1 Like

I would use it too.

Totally agree. Providing RCP capability would definitely be useful to architects, interior designers and set designers.

1 Like

Why hesitant, what damage would it do? Did you just ask the 1000s of architects and designers using Rhino to stop using Rhino because you refuse to add a simple command like ‘FlipView’? Discussed on a separate thread here… Reflected Parallel Projections (the old question) - Rhino / Rhino for Windows - McNeel Forum

Architects and designers using Rhino understand that this software wasn’t designed for them, however, we’ve found very creative ways to leverage Rhino to efficiently achieve the minimal requirements of our daily tasks. I think the least you can do is acknowledge the minimal requirements of your 1000s of supportive users and maybe try tend to them, especially when the same request is reignited literally 7 years later. Tell us what it will take to code this ‘FlipView’ command - I’m sure these users would be more than happy to donate to expedite it because my lord the workaround for a reflected ceiling plan is painstaking and time-consuming. Stop trying to palm it off onto some hero to create a plug-in package and expect us to hope, pray and wait but continue using your software.

1 Like

Hello again,
indeed, this feature is missing for a reasonable portion of customers.

Hi,

I’m ignorant about reflected ceiling plans, but was thinking something like that would be helpful when discussing a lighting layout with a first fix electrician.

Could someone explain how they differ from the bottom view?

TIA
Jeremy

It is cut at the same height as the plan and looking down like the plan, so the section cut from the plan and the RCP are an exact copy of each other, but the bit that is interesting is it’s like you have a mirror on the floor. If you look at the plan and the RCP below, you can see the section cut is not flipped, as it would be if the view of the ceiling was done using a bottom view.

1 Like

Thanks Sam,

So I guess with a print of the bottom view you’d hold the paper above your eyeline as you gaze upward, whereas you’d hold the RCP below your eyeline as normal and your brain would do the mental gymnastics to flip your visualization?

I think I’m going to have to do some paper exercises to fully get this concept. :woozy_face:

Jeremy

Hello y’all. I thought i’d share this revit view range and cut-plane concept. One weakness I’ve found in Rhino is it’s inability to create multiple, individual levels of cut views accompanied with a table list of those levels. This problem shows heavily in Visualarq, wherein even though you now have a table list of levels, you can only look from one master top view and need to hide the levels you dont want to see by clicking hide on the levels tab in order to focus on the level you want - unlike revit wherein one can create multiple tab views of each level of cut plane and jump to the specific plan view easily.