RC1 slowdowns during long sessions

I tend to leave Rhino running on my machine all the time, so i can just wake my machine up and start working where i left off.

I’ve noticed that after long sessions, the overall performance of the UI starts getting REALLY sluggish, to the point where simple things like changing focus between panes, making selections, and issuing commands, gets unbearably slow (a few seconds just to click on a pane and have it become active), so i have to quit out of Rhino and relaunch it. It improves right away, but slowly degrades again after a few hours.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I’m not running the fastest hardware, but i’ve never really noticed this kind of slowdown before.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 (5A851)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Plug-ins
/Library/ScriptingAdditions/FinderPopOsax.osax/Contents/MacOS/FinderPopOsax
/Users/darren/Library/PreferencePanes/FinderPop.prefPane/Contents/Resources/finderpop-daemon.app/Contents/Resources/fp-patch-mb-cocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/fp-patch-mb-cocoa

Third party kernel extensions
com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.1)
com.usboverdrive.driver.hid (3.1)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: Macmini4,1
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8800 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Memory: 256 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema HD (99dpi 1x)

USB devices
Logitech: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Sennheiser Communications: Sennheiser USB headset
Macally: Macally ICEKey Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema HD Display
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.31 310.90.10.05b12
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: Yes

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 2x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: Medium

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have but only occasionally. Have previously posted my info (not on my Rhino box ATM).

When I have seen this its usually in conjunction with having opened other Rhino files than the one I’m currently working on.

Mark

I almost always have multiple files open simultaneously. That’s just how i work, and it seems like an odd performance-hampering limitation to have in 2015.

Given the title of the thread, just a quick clarifying question: Is this something you’ve notice specifically with RC1? Said differently, do you think this might be a bug caused between the last WIP you tested and RC1?

Or is this something you have noticed for “awhile…”?

What about Rhino memory usage in Activity Monitor?

I may have noticed it previously, but it definitely seems more pronounced in RC1.

Hm… i should have looked at that, actually. I usually look at processor usage to see if maybe there’s a runaway process somewhere, but it’s entirely possible it’s gobbling up more and more RAM.

RC1 has been running a few hours since i last started it, and it’s using 2.90 GB of RAM with only one file open.

By Friday afternoon, Rhino’s memory allocation had swelled to 4.67 GB, and was almost completely unresponsive. It ended up hanging while executing an Intersect operation, and i had to force quit. I had been working on the same file all day, and only had one other file open at the time.

Noticed this too. It was happening on the lastest WIP aswell as the new RC,RC2. Happens after a few hours. My guess is that it might have started around the same time the new render dialog was introduced.
Running OSX 10.9.5

So far with RC2, this seems VASTLY improved for me. It’s been running for the last couple of days with the same files open as before, and RAM usage is sitting at a comfortable 1.05 GB.

Well done, dev team! :slight_smile:

This is really good to hear! Thanks for keeping an eye on memory.

This, however, is rather disturbing. So, just to be clear, you are testing on 10.9.5 Mavericks using the most recent RC2? Does the memory footprint seem to grow if you do not use the Material Editor or Rhino Render features? (Difficult to test what you do with Rhino is mostly visualization, I know). Perhaps watch Rhino for Mac RC2 during modeling ONLY sessions and see if it stays stable. We developers don’t tend to keep Rhino open for long enough to see this sort of stuff, so we have to come up with rather artificial scripts to reproduce the issue.

Running 5A854, guess that is RC2?
I am just modeling in Rhino, occasionally I might change a material colour. I am certain it happens without using the material editor.
About visualisation, something that I do a lot is switching between shaded wireframe and rendered view. These views get cached?