R8 layer panel drag&drop

Hello!
It’s finally possible to drag&drop layers in the new layer panel to some other position, instead of using those little arrows. Found some glitches though:

• It’s not possible to drag under the bottommost layer.

• Somehow I managed, just by d&d-ing, to duplicate layers:
    Duplicate layer names are not allowed, so something’s wrong. Looks it happens when d&d-ing a layer with sublayers. Does not happen immediately, but after some playing around. Can’t give a good repro yet.

• It’s not possible to drag a sublayer on top of it’s parent layer.
    Dragging it further up, however, is possible:

Thanks!

thanks for reporting.
I could repeat all bugs, but the duplicate layers bug is more difficult to reproduce, still looking if I can find a pattern. It seems more like a ghost copy though and not a real duplicate:

reported as RH-72464 Drag-and-drop child layers directly above parent is not possible

reported as RH-72466 Drag-and-drop layers to the bottom is not possible

1 Like

@Eugen I could succesfully repeat the duplicate layer bug. If you make a parent layer with child and grandchild, and then drag a child back to root, then move this new parent/child, it duplicates:

reported as RH-72467 Layer manager drag and drop can produce ghost layers

Ok! I too found a pattern, quite simple:
Make a layer child to another. Move it back out, so that it’s no child anymore. Make it again child of the same layer as before - it duplicates.

Both duplicates are the same layer, not two with the same name.

I see, makes for interesting games: who’s the real parent:

1 Like

In today’s episode of “who is the real parent!?”
We have got Layer 03 and Layer 04 who both claim to be the parent of child Layer 07. But there can only be one, let’s find out! :rofl:

1 Like

Only a sperm test of layer03 and 04 will unearth the truth… =}

Just use the records from the cloning facility at McNeel :wink:

Hi! Found another glitch:
When dragging the column headers vertically, the same separator line kicks in like when dragging a layer.
Doesn’t make sense, does it.
I noticed during column resizing in the header, which then does not work anymore the moment the cursor is moved out of the header row vertically.

Hello!
Just wanted to make sure you are aware of some remaining bugs in the new layer panel.

• As mentioned, it is possible to move the column header as if it was a layer:
    Doing so also can mess up it’s graphics.

• Still, it’s not possible to drag&drop a layer beneath the bottommost layer.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reminder. This is a Windows-only issue.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-73407

Yep, this is a known, Windows-only issue.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-72466

Thanks,

– Dale

1 Like

RH-73407 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like