QuadRemesh Fails for All Objects

Hi All,

For some reason my Quadremesh isn’t working at all. Regardless of the base object I get “Quad Remesh failed to create a mesh.”. Doesn’t even work on a simple nurbs cube or sphere. My ultimate goal is to quadremesh more complicated mesh data.

I have a feeling that this is a bug on an early release, but unfortunately I’m running Rhino7 from an install that our IT team created and I don’t have Admin rights to update to a newer service release.

Here are some details on my “systeminfo”:

“Rhino 7 SR2 2021-1-12 (Rhino 7, 7.2.21012.11001, Git hash:master @ 2f08cf516ffc716c4c4a369abf7625798ef79bca)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-01-12
License details: Cloud Zoo”

I would appreciate any insight anyone has to offer.

Best,

David

Why are you still running SR2?
That’s 5 months behind.
We’re on SR7 now.

Hi John,

That’s a good question. Our corporate IT policy doesn’t allow us to have Admin rights on our computers which can be frustrating at times.

We install rhino using a package that our IT team creates and we install through the Software center. The feature to “Enable updates and usage statistics” is disabled so I’m not able to update rhino to the new service releases. I suppose this can happen if the IT repackages and newer version, but this is infrequent.

Do you know if Quadremesh was working on SR2 or is this a feature that was only functional on later service releases?

Thanks,

David

image001.jpg

Sorry, I do not know.
I don’t use the tool.
There are lots of people here that do so they should be able to help.

A small, specific example would be helpful to troubleshoot your issue.

New service releases that fix bugs come out monthly and really should be installed. Your IT can deploy them, but that’s not a battle we can fight.

Hi John,

Currently it doesn’t work for any object. Here is an example of a simple mesh created from a sphere that fails.

I’ll be sure raise the issue to IT regarding repackaging the newer SR.

Thanks,

David

image001.jpg

quadremesh_test.3dm (254 KB)

No problem.
I just used the default setting for 50% reduction:

Do you get an error?

Hi John,

Thanks for checking. Yeah I tried it with the default settings and it gives me an error message: “Quad Remesh failed to create a mesh.”

-David

~WRD000.jpg

image001.jpg

If I can break some time free, I’ll load up a 7.2 and see if I can repeat the problem. Then we’ll know if the old SR is the issue.

@david_dirsa
Well that’s weird.
QuadRemesh worked just fine for me in 7.2, using the default 50% reduction setting.
Maybe try a reboot?

Hi John,

Thanks for checking. I tried a reboot and it doesn’t seem to help. I’m going to see if our IT department can install the software from the website download and see if that makes a difference. I have a feeling that there is something amiss with how either how Rhino is deployed by IT in the package.

Thanks,

David

image001.jpg

Hi John,

Just thought I would follow up on this issue.

I was able to get the IT team to install the latest version from the Rhino website:

Rhino 7 SR7 2021-6-9 (Rhino 7, 7.7.21160.05001, Git hash:master @ d2161989109d5dacba531310b5d345ce6f4da9f6)

License type: Commercial, build 2021-06-09

License details: Cloud Zoo

We did a test and we got a failed result same as before. We then tried to run the application as the administrator, and then it worked. It seems as though that Rhino does not run quite the same if you don’t run it as the administrator.

Thanks for the help!

David

image001.jpg

@Trav this sounds like there may be an issue with running the quadremesh subprocess. Do you return a different error message when the process can’t be started?

@stevebaer this does sound like the process isn’t starting but the process should throw an invalid operation exception if it cant start.

Is there a way to test this theory on David’s computer?

@david_dirsa can you try running the quad remesh command and look in your Windows Temp Folder %temp% and see if you can spot any files that start with QR_ such as QR_inputMesh , QR_progress or QR_settings.

I’m wondering if perhaps Rhino’s unable to write to the temp folder under its current user policy? This could possibly explain why we might not be seeing an error.

@Trav Ok. Here is what was written to %Temp%

QR_settings_0a0560a5-3e6d-4625-843c-5b1be3248471.txt (544 Bytes)
QR_progress_0a0560a5-3e6d-4625-843c-5b1be3248471.txt (10 Bytes)

Thanks, I’m not sure what sort of IT policy your company has in place but you may need to have an admin grant permissions for xremesh.exe inside your rhino plugins quad remesh folder. It does sound like something is preventing the process from starting or closing it immediately when it starts.