QuadRemesh fails to produce results

I’m working on a fairly complicated closed mesh that has been scanned and cleaned up using Geomagic. The project is under NDA so I cannot actually show it here, but I’d be able to share with McNeel staff if necessary.

Nine out of ten times when running QuadRemesh I simply don’t get any resulting mesh, nor any warnings or other hints. Just nothing after a considerable calculation time. This is on the latest v.7 build on Mac (7.10.21256.17002, 2021-09-13)

Depending on the parameters, number of target vertices etc. I do get results, but I cannot pinpoint the exact cause after numerous trials. Sometimes I had more luck setting a desired edge length, but even then, some parameters work and some don’t.

I’ve even tried the tool on meshes that have been voxelized (elsewhere) and then converted back to a mesh (in order to obtain a cleaner mesh structure) as well as meshes that have been previously converted into quads in other programs (either as pure quads as well as triangulated polys).

It appears that there’s a bug that actually prevents Rhino from remeshing the object correctly.

2 Likes

Hello - Can you please send to tech@mcneel.com and include a link back to this topic in your comments.

-Pascal

Was there any movement on this? I’m having the same experience with the Quad Remesh command producing nothing, with no feedback.

System Info:
Rhino 8 SR0 2022-3-29 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.22088.20306, Git hash:master @ 79b04202d6ce9e243e97f8ea0b690e5f0da2bcc5)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-03-29
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2022-05-13

Apple macOS Version 12.3.1 (Build 21E258) (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

Apple M1 Max (OpenGL ver:4.1 Metal - 76.3)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Apple
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 21845 MB
Graphics: Apple M1 Max
Displays: Unknown (255dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Apple M1 Max
Color LCD (1728 x 1117 @ 120.00Hz)

USB devices
None

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCloudKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreData.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAppKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftContacts.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreML.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVision.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftNetwork.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDemangle.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFileProvider.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIntents.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomePubSub.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomeStreams.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMIDI.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/ConstraintsUI.rhp “Constraints UI” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCPython.rhp “RhinoCPython” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRoslyn.rhp “RhinoRoslyn” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Constraints.rhp “Constraints” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.22088.20306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 8.0.22088.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/QuadRemesh.rhp “QuadRemesh” 8.0.22088.20306

Same issue here in 2023 build: 3001

Nothing produced Or sometimes produced if I toggle ‘hide input objects’. But even with this no guarantee you will get any output. I had to do it 15 times to get it to produce anything.

Has this been solved?

1 Like

Hi Olivia -

Without a 3dm file, it’s impossible for us to know what’s going on there…
-wim

1 Like

It still happens quite regularly (even today), both in v7 as well as WIP on my Intel Mac. Same model, some settings work, some don’t, but there’s no particular pattern to it. In fact, it appears to be a total random failure to run (and communicate with the quadremeshing library under the hood).

1 Like

ut oh it’s been 24d since last post. what shall we do.

I’ve noticed some bugs too. For example, I don’t even bother using the ‘hide’ or ‘delete’ option within the dialogue, because I’ve found they’re not reliable.

Also, I can’t say I’ve witnessed the other problems described in this thread per say, while they do sound familiar.

I’ve found that any time I remember it failing for seemingly no reason, it will eventually work if I try again and again.

Some ppl believe insanity is defined as “trying the same thing over without different result” yada yada.

Well there’s literally no such thing, cause from moment to moment the slices of spacetime are always different, and subatomic particles can cause a blue or black screen of death and/or any other computation anomaly at any time.

Hello Wim, I get the same results as others where nothing happens at all. I am attaching the mesh in question.

*Rhino 8
I’m on an 2023 Mac Studio with M2 Max and 32 Gb Ram, OS Sonoma 14.1.2

Quadrangle.3dm (1.2 MB)

Thank you

1 Like

Bump. Same here. No result and no error message. Rhino 8. MacBook Pro M3 14.3.1 (23D60)

Works here: