Problems with Rhino 7 01-31-2022

Hello,

I’ve been waiting for some updates on Rhino 7 to see if there is an improvement but this issues keep happening.

I’m having several problems where Rhino takes way too long to work and it even crashes

Examples are:

1- Editing a dimension with the Properties window. It just takes forever to load. And this is just selecting one dimension. When I go to select another one, the same happens. It freezes for a couple of minutes. This used to be so smooth.

2- TEXT: this takes at least 3 minutes to start and work. And if I press ESCAPE, Rhino crashes.

3- Intersection between surfaces, solids or any type of object. This straight up does not work. It freezes for several minutes and then Rhino crashes.

4- Rhino 5 has this thing where you can right click the mouse button over the start icon and the last 10 files that have been opened previously show up and I can select the one I want to open. Would love to have that back.

5- Any updates coming up on SubD tools? I still can’t fully go to Rhino 7 and continue working in Rhino 5 and T-splines. Symmetry (Radial, more than one symmetry center, etc), Match Surface/edge , Converting SubD to nurbs quality is still not good… etc) I posted about this updates a few months ago.

Thanks!**

Do you see many other posts about such egregious issues? We’re going to need some information to actually help, like files, and running SystemInfo and posting the results.

Hello- yeah, a starting point would be to run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Rhino 7 SR14 2022-1-10 (Rhino 7, 7.14.22010.17001, Git hash:master @ d8a2d020be8cb487bfc091316ef32170cfc7eddb)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-01-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.22000 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 7-7-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 471.35
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-1-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-7-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7135
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
D:\Downloads\Lightmap Tugnstone\HDRI Light Studio Plugins Win64\Rhino3D\Rhino_6_Win_2018.1130\HDRLightStudioTexture.rhp “HDRLightStudioTexture”
C:\Users\toonf\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\ClippingBox (4dfff1df-5f09-43ae-a044-77b115244b02)\1.0.0.0\Rhino 6\ClippingBox.rhp “ClippingBox” 1.0.0.0
C:\Grasshopper Gold\food4rhino\plugin Rhino\ElefrontProperties.rhp “ElefrontProperties” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Users\toonf\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\1.0.0\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\toonf\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2021.3.2.446\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”

I haven’t checked for other posts, I don’t have much time, lots of work to do. But this issues are constant since I started using Rhino 7…

I would appreciate all the help , thanks

Deactivate V-Ray and try again…

Obviously if these were common problems there would be lots of other posts screaming bloody murder, and without examples there’s virtually nothing to do to try to track them down.

The most likely culprit here is one or more of your 3rd-party plugins.

No luck.

Image shows that I selected a dimension and it froze. I had to end task.

This issues have been happening since I downloaded R7 :frowning:

Update your video drivers, restart Windows, disable the rest of your add-ons. Also, post a file.

I’ll try this later on the day, thanks. Graphic card drivers are up to date and Windows 11 also up to date.

No luck guys, I just disable all add ons that don’t come with Rhino, re-started Windows, and nothing changed… When the Properties window is active, Rhino freezes… It’s just weird. When I turn it off it’s all ok.
Rhino 7 Crash test 1.3dm (103.2 KB)
File attached

Is it up to date? Sysinfo says your Nivida drivers are about 6 months old. I don’t think it matters, but things do need to be kept up to the moment.

I thought so, but I’m downloading drivers now.

This images are performing INTERSECTION, it froze after 1 minute, when I pressed ESCAPE, it crashed.

Well I didn’t have Rhino hang for minutes and crash on me, there are some annoying performance issues with the properties panel, but we’re talking about a second or two max here.

Do you have some kind of antivirus-type software? They can be a real PITA sometimes.

Is Vray uninstalled completely? this was a know issue somewhat recently (intersection/contour command vray conflict)

I know right? I just updated Nvidia drivers and the problem persists. Properties panel is the problem. When I turn it off it runs smooth.
No antivirus, Firewall is off always.
I’m baffled, intersection keeps freezing… This tool in Rhino 5 works as usual, smooth and fast. Same as editing a dimension.
It has to be Rhino 7

If V-ray is the problem, this is no good, I use it for work all day long. It would defeat the porpoise of it no?
But thanks for the time to comment. :slight_smile:

Is V-Ray up to date? And you need to isolate the problem, obviously “intersect” works just fine for everyone else.