Problem with imported IFC objects

Hello,
I have been trying to use some imported elements, but it is a fail…
I have downloaded some objects from the NBS National BIM Library site https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/. I don’t know if it is due to the another unit system or something else, but almost all objects simply don’t fit, see the image below:

Doors and windows are placed at very strange positions, ignoring the building level, insertion points etc. Is it a problem with these objects or the VA cannot handle them?
Regards, Jaro

1 Like

Small addendum: changing the profile from other to the one defined by a style makes an opening with proper size. Also the position of the opening seems to be correct. But still the position of the element is not correct. I think it may be the problem with a block definition (or with reading this definition by th VA).
Regard, Jaro

Hi Jaro,
There are dozens of models in that website. Can you attach some of the door or windows in IFC format that you are having this problem with?

Hello Francesc,
I have attached the files.
And see the picture:

I have imported a window definition and the object lacks its representation. All I can see is a brown object. The block manager shows the block representation, but it is a hidden one and I can’t assign it to the window definition.
Regards, Jaro
ifc problem.3dm (4.0 MB)
NBS_DrsetSym_Interior-Double_FullyGlazed.zip (7.4 KB)
NBS_MumfordWoodLtd_WoodWndwUnits_ConservationSpringSashWindow.zip (206.4 KB)

Hi Jaro,
I can see the the opening size of that door and window don’t match with the geometry size and their position. We will analyze if there is a problem of VisualARQ importing those ifc files (and fix it) or it’s a problem of a bad export of those objects to IFC.

Any news? Regards, Jaro

Hi Jaro, yes, we have fixed this in VisualARQ 2.4 version that we will publish one of these days. I’ll let you know when it is ready.

Hi,
I just wonder, are these ifc styles parametric? Or do they have a fix dimensions?

They usually have fixed dimensions. VisualARQ reads the openings coming from ifc files as openings created from blocks, that also include the information of their opening profile. They don’t have parameters to edit their size, although you can always select them, change the style and the new one will update the corresponding opening profile into the wall.

Okey, so for changing its dimensions, it is best to edit the block, am I right?

You need to edit the block on one hand, and assign a profile that matches with the block shape on the other.
If the block has a rectangular profile shape, you can adjust the dimensions from the properties panel.

Good news, this issue has been fixed in VisualARQ 2.4, which is already available to download: VisualARQ 2 - Version 2.4 released
The opening position matches now with the geometry. However it’s seems to be a displacement of the geometry across the wall (Y direction). This happens due to the way that object has been exported to IFC, and VisualARQ can’t help it. You can edit the Alignment offset value of that window afterwards to place it next to the wall baseline.