Physics test with solid objects

hello, I am trying to make a 3d puzzle that needs to be stable once assembled, basically I need to test polysurfces of equal density and see if they wont fall apart under gravity, like a jenga but with pieces of different sizes.

I saw a russian simulation video on youtube of something similar to what I want to test and they were using kangaroo, is this possible? how could I achieve this? or is there a better plugin for this?

I’m not sure why that video is titled in Russian - it’s one I made a while back. There are some example files, including this one, here:

However, I would warn that the collision handling currently doesn’t include friction, so is not really suitable yet for stacking. There’s also sometimes a stability issue with rigid bodies in the current release - but the fix for this should be in the next service release.

first of all thanks for the quick response! I must admit that I am pretty much a rookie at grasshopper.

so if I undestand you correctly the topic I was looking for is called “rigid body collision”

this is an example of what I am making, In a nutshell this would be a set of concrete pieces and I need to test how they would react in real life when stacked, to be sure they dont slide or fall apart. Is Kangaroo the right plugin for this? the test just needs to be referencial so I dont know if I could do without friction or not. Is there a better plugin or software to test this?

I run your “rigid_body_collision.gh” and it seems to do the job just fine except that the geometries just fall into the nothingness, how could I set a plane as the floor?

thanks!

Hi - just FWIW, from that first picture alone, it looks like this structure bases its integrity on friction alone. As far as I know, that’s a no-no in real life.
-wim

Under Goals-6dof, there is one called SolidPlaneCollide which lets you set a fixed floor plane to collide with.
This looks like it might be quite a tricky system to simulate in a way you can be confident will be true to life for a few reasons -

• some of the shapes are non-convex, which complicates the collision detection
  • they are in contact along curved faces, which is likely to make the simulation very sensitive to how they are meshed along this interface
  • as Wim points out, it looks like it relies on static friction to not slide apart, and I think even in most physics engines which do include friction it can be tricky to set an accurate real world value for this.