New Feature: Rich Text

(Brian Gillespie) #1

RText is now available in the latest Rhino WIP.

RText is a prototype replacement for the Text command. It adds several new features:

• RText objects gets the default font, font size, and other properties from Annotation Styles. This lets you change the way multiple text objects look by changing the appropriate Annotation Style, rather than changing each piece of text individually.
  • Individual words, phrases, or the whole block of Text can be formatted with Bold, Italic, and Underline.
  • Text wrapping is controlled with a ruler in the RText dialog. It can also be controlled with grips on the object after it’s added to the model.
  • A future release of Rhino WIP will replace the current Text command with RText.

Try out RText. Download Rhino WIP Now. Please report any problems in the Serengeti category of Discourse.

(John Brock) #2

Nice use of video to show new features

(Pascal Golay) #3

Also font

-Pascal

Great, but I would also like to change the colour for any fragment of text.

I didn’t get any mm style choices in the drop-down list.

(John Brock) #6

The list is populated with the styles in your file.
If you started Rhino with an inch template, you would not have mm styles on the list.
You can import or create new annotation styles and then they will show up on the list.

Perfect! :heart_eyes:

Great!!
Please consider strike through.
I use this a lot in programs that support it…
And please make this text formatting thing part of the notes pane.

cheers
rabbit

(Brian Gillespie) #9

@lowell what’s the status of color support in Rich Text?

and strike through?

I don’t think we’d considered that… @dalelear, @lowell - is this difficult?

I like the possibilities of this so far. See one formating problem.
If you open existing rtext to modify it, changing the right left justifying of the the text field it will move the block of text positionally but not update the actual justification until you also alter the Vertical justification to refresh it.

(Lowell Walmsley) #11

Color and strikethrough are supported at the low level by RText and by rtf parsing. Not connected up to reality yet and I’m not sure how many details need to be hooked up, but probably not too many.
I don’t think the notes pane would be exactly connected to this but it could be an Eto RichTextArea I suppose.
I’ll look at the failure to rebuild the justification.
The wrapping is pretty ragged so far in what’s out there too. I made a lot of progress on that yesterday and today

Amazing!
Is it also possible to explode RText on Rhino WIP for Mac as of now? Holding my breath for an ‘explode text to curves’ tool on Mac WIP!

(John Brock) #13

Short answer No, not yet.

Rhino WIP for Mac is still based on V5 code.
After V6 for Windows is released, then we will work on getting Mac Rhino shifted over to the V6 code base.

How about v7 for windows? :grin:

(Alain Cormier) #15

One of the reasons we had decided not to add color was because of the confusion that would be created by the fact that for all other objects, color is set at the object or layer

Please, reconsider it.
From user’s point of view it requires to makes 3 texts just to bring one colour annotation inside it.

(Bob McNeel) #17

Would it be more confusing that it is now?

Color would display based on the…

1. Parent
  2. Layer
  3. Object
  4. Material (depending on the display mode of the viewport or object)
  5. “Inline” setting on the character’s
  6. ???

I’m not sure a couple more options will make it all that much more confusing… :slight_smile:

(Alain Cormier) #18

Good point. Lowell says that color is already support at the low level so I’ll discuss with him.

How would the text colour then show in the Properties panel, if only part of the rich text had its colour changed?

I like the idea of being able to change text colour for part of the text, btw - just trying to think about how the added layer of complexity is handled.

color: varies

Nick