New Feature: Rich Text

Probably not…

varies is for when you select multiple objects that are different colors.

If this sentence were red with a blue word in the middle:

Then object properties would show the text as red. And if you changed the object color from red to green, the sentence would look like this:

1 Like

Presumably if you then used the rich text editor to change the whole text to blue (for some unknown reason that I’ll attribute to Devil’s Advocate), the properties panel would still show it as green?

I would think it would show as blue.

Hi great news and tutorial!
Wondering if you have multiple txt styles can you match properties from one txt style to another?

Wow, really nice.
Even paste from clipboard, preserving most relevant format, works quite fine from Word or alike.

Rem.:
The font Combobox could show a preview of the font, as we are used to in text processors.

Rem 2:
_Explode on the created text works, but only up to a certain amount.
On more text, nothing happens, and without notice.
CP_NoExplode.3dm (75.7 KB)

Rem 3.:
While we are at that, the _TextObject dialog could inherit the same function.

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Additional button wishes for the Rich Text editor (to go in that space to the right of the Alignment buttons?):
Set all selected to Upper Case
Set all selected to Lower case
Set all selected to Capitalised text
Invert all selected text, so that upper case and lower case are swapped. (For all those occasions when I’ve typed a big block of text without looking at the screen, then realise I had CapsLock on. Grrrrr…)

1 Like

Great wishes - I agree!

Philip

As of the WIP today, Nov. 8, the Text command and the Leader command have been changed to make new style Text and Leader objects.

See the top of this thread for some details about new text functionality.

When files with text and leaders are read, those objects are now converted to the new style objects.

The only Text and Leader objects in V6 files are now the new style ones.

There is a bug in today’s WIP that will cause the size of Text and Text in Leaders that have been read from V5 files to change to the wrong size in most cases.

When you you read the V5 file, the text will appear the right size.

All text now gets it’s properties from Annotation Styles.
When you save the file as a V6 file and re-open it, the text will be the size specified in the Annotation Style that the text references. That will often be different than the text size was in V5.

Saving as V5 will convert the objects back to V5 style Text and Leaders, but the sizes will be wrong in many cases.
Don’t save back over your V5 files without some careful thought.

This bug will be fixed in a few days and files that have been saved that way will be automatically fixed.

Lowell,
Just testing the rich text, seems great(!) except that the underline function doesn’t seem to be working.
Nick

Thanks- Looks like a display problem.
I’ll write it up: RH-36191

Lowell, I’m seeing some weird snapping when the text is rotated - both a few end snaps and center snap. On none-rotated text, I seem not to be snapping to anything (I am expecting to be able to snap to the anchor point - Mid-Center or Top-Left, etc…).

In the following picture I have started the Line command and am hovering over the viewport with a few Osnaps turned on. The point on the cursor is an End point. There are no other objects in this new file.

I’m unable to duplicate that behavior.
Can you please post the file?

In the following I launched Rhino, called New, picked the default “Small Objects - Millimeters.3dm” template and created text with the “Millimeter Small” style. Only the text string and rotation are changed. In the document I have added arrows on locked layers pointing to where I see snapping going on. When you change the alignment from Top-Left to Bottom-Mid, the position where things are snapping changes - thus the arrows on two different layers.
WIP - Text snapping.3dm (56.6 KB)

The bug Lowell mentioned:

is fixed in version 6.0.16314.1241, 11/9/2016. This version will be available to the public within a day.

A patched WIP 2016-11-09 was just released to http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/wip

Will it install in Win 7 or Win 8.1? How about with an expired WIP on the target computer?

Spelling check?

@Wim - Thanks. That will give me something to look at.

1 Like

Windows 7 - not today, there’s a bug.
Windows 8.1, yes.

Would be nice to include character spacing. As in adjust the distance between letters

2 Likes