Match Annotation Style *Before* Placing?

Is there a simple way to set the annotation/dimension properties to match an example already in my drawing BEFORE I create the new annotation? I can change the style of an annotation to match another one AFTER I’ve created it, so why not before? I just want to click on a dimension/text/leader and use its style for future annotations, including any edits I might have made to the selected item’s style.

Current ‘workflow’:

1. Select an existing annotation item with the desired appearance
  2. go to its properties to identify the style used
  3. click on an annotation tool
  4. click to change annotation style
  5. choose style from the dropdown list
  6. place the annotation
  7. notice that it doesn’t look like the original sample (because some aspect of sample’s style has minor edits)
  8. select new annotation
  9. go to its properties
  10. click ‘match’
  11. select the sample you picked in step 1), so new one matches old one.
  12. adjust the position of the annotation if the style change necessitates this

Yes, I know that if the original item’s style has edits I can save it as a new named style to cut out steps 7-12, but then I end up with a bloated list of styles with names that are either complicated or meaningless.

Hi,

I don’t think there’s a way to do exactly that. If it’s the same kind of annotation you could just _Copy the one in step 1.

If you have many annotations that share the same style and edits wouldn’t it be useful to have a common style so you can easily edit them all at once later? I’m just trying to understand.

Thanks for responding.

Here’s an example:
Say I wish to place a dimension on a drawing of a small sub-component that is part of a much larger project file with many layers and many dimensions.
I pick ‘millimeter small’ as a style and place the dimension but I see that the model space scale is 45 and the arrowheads are as large as the object I’m trying to dimension.
I select the dimension and in its properties I change its model space scale to 10 and I’m happy with the result.
Now I want to place another dimension, but when I do its model space scale will be way up at 45 again, so I’ll have to edit it after I place it, or use ‘match’ to get it to look like the first one, and I’ll have to repeat this with each additional dimension that I place.
I don’t want to make global edits to the ‘millimeter small’ style (to change its model space scale from 45 to 10) because it is in use elsewhere in my project and I don’t want to mess those drawings up.
I don’t want to create a new saved style of this simple edit.
I simply want a way to click on a dimension and say “Use whatever style settings that one is using” so that the next dimension I place will use those settings, like the eyedropper tool in photoshop allows you to pick a color from something in your image and paint with that color (without requiring you to first save it as a named custom color and then select it from a dropdown list).

The same would be nice for the hatching tool. If I want to create a hatch that looks like some other existing hatching I have to first create a new hatch using the default solid black, then select it and ‘match’ it to the existing one to fix it - why can’t I select the example hatch and say ‘Use settings for next hatch’ and then create my new hatch?

Grant

This seems like it would be useful. I logged it here.
Thanks you for the feedback.

Thanks Alain, I hope it makes it into a future release.

Grant