Learning to build thin shells using kangaroo, guidance required

I am attempting to build shell structures using Kangaroo. I am a beginner level using this plugin.
Reference images attached.

These images have shells with multiple cutouts within them. However, since being a beginner and taking small steps, as of now I am making shell structure with only one hole cutout inside it.

1. Now, the mesh that I create is not uniform. The mesh in the screenshots have very organized and systematic arrangement of cells.How can I create clean mesh with regular geometry ? Triangles are created at the edge of the larger ellipse which create a messy look. How to avoid those and have only quad faces? Alternatively, how to have only triangular faces so as to have a shape uniformity in the whole mesh?

2. Clearly, I am using an inefficient method to select vertices on mesh edges for anchor points. Currently I don’t know any other method in which I can click points only on the outermost curve to select them. The anchor points look like as if a large paperweight has been placed on them. Doing a point list, and manually entering the values appears tedious as well.
    Please guide.

THIN CONCRETE SHELL STRUCTURE ATTEMPT.gh (30.9 KB)

Have a look at the attachment. You’ll need meshmachine static.

THIN CONCRETE SHELL STRUCTURE ATTEMPT_re.gh (21.2 KB)

2 Likes

130709_allmodels-13_3
130709_allmodels-12_3
130709_allmodels-11_3
130709_allmodels-10_3
130709_allmodels-09_3
rhinovault_1416581913_3
130709_allmodels-08_3
Rhinovault

Check this out it will help you better.

1 Like

I don’t have meshmachine static as I’m using latest version of Kangaroo 2. Any method to do in latest version of Kangaroo?

I am using Rhino 6 which doesn’t support this plugin. Any trick to run this plugin in Rhino 6 ?

See the link in my posting.

Okay. Thanks. I downloaded the zip file from the web page you mentioned and copied the files in it into the Grasshopper libraries folder on my laptop.

That worked. So currently, the only way to generate a uniformly triangulated mesh is using Mesh machine component from the old version of Kangaroo?

No other method exists?

Another query. In the mesh machine component, you set the target edge length to 0.75. How was that specific number chosen? Or was it just a trial number after sliding through multiple values from slider? For example, if I choose 0.5, I get an error. What is the meaning of that length?

You could also try SimpleRemesh component in K2 like my attempt in another posting of mine. I can’t assure you it’ll work in every cases that you want to accomplish.

1 Like

Yes, simple remesh gives error. I should use meshmachine only. When you used the mesh machine component, you set the target edge length to 0.75. How was that specific number chosen? Or was it just a trial number after sliding through multiple values from slider? For example, if I choose 0.5, I get an error. What is the meaning of that length?

Not always. Some values would do. literally edge length means edge length for target mesh.

1 Like