Join curves default has changed

When Rhino detects a gap when joining curves, the default was always “Yes” to join anyway:

Now in the beta it defaults to “No”:

I don’t know about everyone else, but I think it makes more sense to default to “Yes”. Generally the gap is so small that joining anyway is what we want to do. In V5 we could just hit Enter or the spacebar to continue.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

FWIW, I tend to answer No to that question. But it’s not so often I run into that…

Hi Dan - got that, thanks.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-42604

@DanBayn - check the link above for the um… conversation about this one. At this point it is ‘won’t fix’, hopefully that will make some sense.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

We do a lot of engraving across less than perfect surfacing (often based off of data supplied by the customer, which can be ugly). The small gaps which are out of tolerance are perfectly acceptable to join as to keep a continuous engraving action on the CNC machine, and not force unwanted retracts. So we always say “Yes” to that question. The small gaps in surfacing aren’t worth the time to fix since WorkNC processes toolpaths easily across these gaps without any noticeable flaws in our surface finish.

For us, this is a step in the wrong direction. However, I can script this to get around this setback:

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

def JoinCrvs():
    objects = rs.GetObjects("Select curves", 4, True, True)
    if objects:
        rs.JoinCurves(objects, True, 1)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    JoinCrvs()

Actually, I probably should have scripted this a long time ago. Now we can select all of our curves at once and join them in one shot.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like