Issue exporting text from Rhino to AutoCAD

yes, apologies i see it now, just tried exporting the 3dm file to dwg and opening in auto cad, the text is definitely shifting

Weird… I just figured out something else that’s strange. The font doesn’t seem to be carrying over into the dwg. I exported with all the text using the font Kartika, but then when I re-imported the same dwg, it was now all Helvetica.

As an experiment, I converted some of the text to Arial and left the other text as Kartika before exporting to dwg and re-importing to Rhino. The Arial is still Arial, but all the Kartika is now Helvetica.

I tried using other fonts I’ve downloaded (non-system fonts) and it’s the same issue every time. The imported dwg has all the text as Helvetica and has shifted everything.

I’d be interested to know if this is a bug or there is a work around for it, I create a lot drawings in rhino, 3d and 2d using layouts, I’m always using architects DWG’s to grab perimeter geometry from to start my 3dm drawings, I’m still waiting for the day when they request my drawings back but in auto cad format :slight_smile:

I’ve always worked around these problems because usually I only have to give people a finished PDF. In this situation I’m just the draftsman, and they want the AutoCAD file itself so that they can make changes… which is proving to be a pain in the butt.

I know there are whole architecture firms that use Rhino for everything, so I assume someone has figured out a solution to this.

To be honest, i don’t care much for auto cad, its used out of necessity to the simplest level :slight_smile:
yes all my output is to PDF mostly, would still be nice knowing that this issue could be fixed

I’ve exported you file on Rhino Windows and the same issue occurs.
ConstructionDrawingFromRhinoWindows.dwg (62.8 KB)

@knotff Thank you for testing that as well so at least we know it’s not a Mac specific problem. Do you have any other user-installed fonts you can test from Windows? I’m wondering if there is some attribute a standard font has that a “downloaded from the web” font doesn’t.

@RistPhoto Neither Windows Rhino nor Mac Rhino embed font files in the 3DM file or AutoCAD export files. Font files are copyrighted. For a font to have a chance of being reproduced correctly, the same font file must exist on both the source and destination computer.

Kartina is a Microsoft font, but is not intended for Western languages. It is meant for writing in Malayalam script. Does your client require text written in Malayalam script? If writing in Malayalam script is not a requirement, I would suggest switching to a font intended for western languages.

Kartina is available from Linotype for $49. Did you purchase your Mac copy from Linotype? If you downloaded a different copy from somewhere else, I would not expect a free non-western font file to do a very good job of displaying western characters.

I checked my copy of Windows 10 and Kartina is not part of the standard English Windows 10 installation.

Windows7 on my system indicates Kartika is a TrueType font by Microsoft, with standard and bold versions in an OpenType “wrapper”. I believe this will also work on a Mac, but its been years since I’ve had to deal with font exchange between Macs and PCs.

Kartika appears to be a standard Microsoft font, so you could probably grab it off any Windows computer. However, I think it would be ideal if the client gave you the font they have on their system.

Fonts from different sources with the same name may not be the same font. Character shapes, metrics, and the character map may differ.

I suppose you could tell the client they are using the wrong font as Marlin indicates. Or, you could use the same, wrong font they are using?

@marlin I find the font to be kinda weird, and I would never use it, but it’s what the client has used for all of their documents for the last 5+ years, so even thought I would love to switch, it’s what he wants to use. Apparently his choice of font has caused issues over the years, but he feels stuck with it. I would drop it in a heart beat if I could.

@cdordoni I think you’re onto something. I downloaded a free version, but it’s entirely possible that it’s not the same one on his system. Would you be willing to export a file with the Kartika font to see if the scaling issue still exists when it’s exported from a system that has it natively?

I’m still a little confused why standard fonts seem to scale correctly, and non-standard/user-installed fonts don’t seem to scale correctly during the export process. If I’m exporting a dwg and opening it on my own system, then shouldn’t the fonts display correclty?

I’ll reach out tomorrow to see if he can send me the same wrong font he’s using.

Hi all,

Thanks for the report and sample files. I’ve filed this as a bug to make sure the issue gets looked into.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-43466

I’ve also found a work around in the meantime, SelAll and Block the entirety of the file, then save as dwg. Importing that back in I don’t see an offset here on Windows or Mac Rhino. I don’t have ACAD to double check there as well though.

1 Like

Open the ConstructionDrawing.3dm file posted above
Run SelAll
Run Block and choose 0 as the insertion point
SaveAs and choose dwg
Import the dwg

I tested the work around in Rhino for Mac as well using the current release version 5.3.2. The steps on Mac are…
Open the 3dm
SelAll
Block (looks like you can block just the text too using SelText first)
Export as dwg
Import the dwg

I just tested converting it to a block and then exporting to a dwg and it didn’t solve the problem for me either, @RichardZ.

@BrianJ I had a look at your error log, but I seem to encounter the problem with any font that I have installed that wasn’t a system font.

When I convert the font in the original rhino file to Arial, it doesn’t happen.
ConstructionDrawing _Arial.3dm (2.9 MB)
ConstructionDrawing _Arial.dwg (62.2 KB)

I also tried doing this with Papyrus and it all worked fine as well.

However, no matter what User Installed Font, I use, the text shifts. Here is an example of the dwg using the free font: Bariol. Notice that the annotation text is all in Arial and it’s fine.
ConstructionDrawing _Bariol.dwg (62.1 KB)

I think you mean the bug report I filed, I also see the text offset issue with any font I choose for the text in your file. I was unable to reproduce the issue making a new file.

This is very strange, I just triple checked on both Windows Rhino 6 and Mac Rhino 5.3.2 that blocking the text first and exporting that block as a dwg imports back into Rhino without the offset. I thought maybe the difference was that I don’t have the Kartika font so I tested your new Arial file too. On that one I still get the offset unless I block the text first. Maybe @lowell will have some ideas, the bug is on his list.

I went into work today, where I have a PC that has AutoCAD on it. I opened the dwg with arial and it showed up exactly how I would hope:

So then I tried opening the original file, and it worked poorly:

I then finally had a chance to try @RichardZ 's suggestion about imported the original 3dm file directly, and the text totally disappeared…

@BrianJ I had a realization as I was driving, and that was that I have been using Cmd+O to open the dwg as its own file. However, I did not actually try “Import” to bring the dwg into an existing drawing. So it’s possible that how Rhino handles the import of a dwg could be different than how it opens it. I will be sure to try that this evening and report back.

@BrianJ It looks like “Importing” the block works and keeps all of the text in order! That makes it even more strange that “Opening” the block doesn’t work the same way.

go to the File menu and press option key

4 Likes

Huh… learn something new every day!

RH-43466 is fixed in the latest Service Relase Candidate