Is Thea Render dead for Rhino?

Thea Render for Rhino is one of our best plugins and it has become the renderer of choice for many Rhino users. We are constantly developing and supporting the plugin and we will continue doing so.

Rhino platform is very important for us and the fact that you see such a nice webinar (that took time to prepare and present) should tell that the integration is very much alive (and the exact opposite of what some users want to suggest here, having their own promotion agenda).

I really suggest everyone to devote some time and watch the webinar.

Best regards
Ioannis Pantazopoulos

2 Likes

Thanks for a great webinar which has led me to using Thea more in the near future. I have been very happy with Octane for Rhino for years and bought Thea early just for its ability to render Rhino clipping planes but never really got around to using that feature. I donā€™t think that it has been implemented in Octane yet but I am happy to have both and will be spending more time using Thea since the webinar.

I learned a lot from the webinar. The Thea interactive preview window is the most responsive I have seen.

Ioannis,

I still seem to not be getting the full material choices. I try to use the 'update' button in the Thea pulldown and get this message.

Any ideas?

Are you running update in Thea Studio at the same time, @jodyc111? (Btw, @ggliatis and @Christos are supporting for Thea for Render.)

Not running Thea Studio at all. Does it need to be running and do an update there first?

I opened Thea Studio and got the same message there when trying to do an update.

Jody

Hello Jody!
You can download the material collections from the following link:

Greetings,
George

One more thing.
Have you changed the default location of the ā€˜Thea Dataā€™ folder?

I think I just let the installer put them where it wanted so maybe a fresh download and install will help. Thanks!

Hi Christos, i mainly render jewelry,i have purchased the license for thea now want to purchase the plugin for rhino. But before i purchase i had a chance to check the plugin on my friends pc, and it seemed that i was not able to get the gemstones renders, it looked more like grey stones. I imported the same material which i used in the standalone version of thea. Can u please help if there is any solution

Hi,

From your description it sounds like you havenā€™t assigned the material to the object. The default material assigned to an object, if no other has been assigned, is a grey one. Other than that, I canā€™t help more Iā€™m afraid. If you could share your Rhino scene, it would be easier to spot the problem.

please download my rhino file from the link below

Indeed. You havenā€™t assigned a Thea material to your object. Isnā€™t this the same scene from the Thea Render forum ? I think you got a detailed answer there that will help :slight_smile:

You can find more information in the Thea for Rhino and Thea Materials Quick Start Guides in the Knowledge Base.

Greetings,
George

Your stone is a block instanceā€¦you have to explode it first to geometry before applying thea material to it. #maybeoneday

Thanks it helped solve my problem, can u please suggest the settings to use ie should i use production or interactive, and once that is chosen then what should i use in the second option ie amc, prestoā€¦

Interactive Mode should be used for look dev. (Material creation, lighting etc.) Engines supporting Interactive Rendering are Presto MC/AO and Adaptive AMC. Presto engines are GPU+CPU while Adaptive AMC is CPU only.
Once your project has been finalized, you can go into Production Mode and render your final images.

Thank u for the reply, am using Production Mode with Presto (MC), u think that wil save time and give good quality renders??

Is there an update for Thea for Rhino now that Rhino7 is shipping?

@jodyc111 Version 3 is close to be released and we are working hard to have everything ready by then.

1 Like