Is it just me or is Rhino absolutely riddled with bugs in relation to layers, visibility, copy pasting to various layers etc?

I feel like I’m going crazy, its like a never ending pool of bugs that see different results every time I copy paste, move items between layers, etc etc.

I’m a designer of many years, using illustrator, corel draw, photoshop etc etc and I’ve never had so many issues in this regard.

Is it just me or is anyone else having similar issues? Might be my hardware :confused:

• Yes - Every time I use the program
  • Yes - Sometimes I use the program
  • No - works fine for me

0 voters

Run SystemInfo and post the results here, to start.

1 Like

How did you learn Rhino? Or did you assume that Rhino works similar to illustrator, corel draw, photoshop etc etc?

1 Like

Hi @JimCarruthers

Thanks for your help … Here is my systeminfo

Rhino 7 SR6 2021-5-7 (Rhino 7, 7.6.21127.19001, Git hash:master @ aec74c050f3ca28ab3cfd6882e9453a52366a9b7)
License type: Educational, build 2021-05-07
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 12-31-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.09
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-31-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6109
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Lands.rhp “Lands Design”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.6.21127.19001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.6.21127.19001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.6.21127.19001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.6.21127.19001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.6.21127.19001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Can you post a small example of what you are seeing that you consider wrong and what you think should be happening?

1 Like

Hi @Helvetosaur

To reproduce:
Select an object on layer 1 in the viewport
Right click on a different layer in the layers panel
Select ‘Copy Objects To Layer’ from the context menu

Expected:
Object is duplicated to the new layer

Result:
Object is duplicated on Layer 1

• When trying to reproduce the bug again, like just now, I cannot. It seems like its something to do with memory or what not, As I often have heavy computational stuff going on in other programs such as metashape photogrametry. Still this is not the first time its happened and sometimes its literally just a string of glitches. I suppose my machine is virtually a granddad to most granddads. I have seen plenty of glitches in software in my days but no more than in my current workflow with Rhino.

• Oh I should also mention I am using Landsdesign plugin / software thing also. So maybe that’s bugging things out somewhat.

• There are a ton of other glitches that regularly occur, I will post here when they occur. Not liking the chance of anything going away however … maybe when I get a new machine and stop trying to run more than just Rhino on its own.

More likely is what your hands actually did is different than what you remembered. Been there, done that.

I’m on the forum almost every day and I don’t recall anyone else encountering similar problems with copying objects to a layer…

I do this all the time and I don’t recall this ever happening here.

I’ll bet this machine is older than yours - built in 2014 and still on Win 8.1. I also have a couple of others my students use occasionally that are from 2012 or thereabouts, haven’t seen any of the particular problems that you mention.

1 Like

Seems likely…
As this is unusual it looks like you are going to have to try and isolate the problem yourself. Here are some things to try.

1. Next time you are in a spell of frequent problems try disabling the Lands Design plugins and restart Rhino. If you keep having problems it ain’t that.
  2. When you have a spell of problems, make a note of what you have running simultaneously. Kill one thing at a time until the problem stops.
  3. Also try starting with just Rhino and add your computational loads one at a time until the problems start.
  4. Try changing your mouse and keyboard in case they are firing spurious clicks.
  5. Notwithstanding you are running an old PC, check that you have the latest Windows updates and drivers.
  6. Repair the Rhino installation.

Post back on your progress.

HTH
Jeremy

2 Likes

@jeremy5

Thanks so much for your advice Jeremy, I will.

Have a fantastic day!

Didn’t have problems with visibility but what i sometimes had troubles with was the option to select all object on a layer and that rhino tells me it’s empty.
But this might also be my problem although i only had this problem with rhino 7 on mac but never with rhino 6 on bootcamp or mac.

1 Like

Thanks @julia.geisler Yes this is exactly what I’m talking about, glitches with what items are on what layers. Or like after moving a bunch of items from one layer to another, then all of a sudden half of them didn’t move.

Latest issue …

Clicking viability on and off for the Plants layer shows multiple plant sets on the layer are effected.
Right click select object on same layer results in no objects being selected message. Layer is not locked. No reason why objects shouldn’t be being selected is there?

Hi @garth2,

Do you have any non-Lands Design objects on that layer? Place a simple object like a box on that layer and see if that gets selected from the layer right click object selection.

Then create a new layer and just put a box on it and see if you can select that from the layer manager.

What happens?

Jeremy

1 Like

Well I don’t use Lands Design, but I think what might be going on here is either, things are being sluggish and Rhino’s not keeping up with what your requests are, or maybe there’s some confusion about blocks, about the layers of the actual blocks vs the geometry they contain.

1 Like

Yes I think my semantics need some work. Blocks are more than just symbols it seems. Ill do some reading.

Yeah a block is an invisible object that exists like other objects, that is on a layer, totally separate from the geometry inside it, which is all on whatever layers it was placed on before being turned into a block. So copying a block to a layer doesn’t change the layers of any actual objects, just of the invisible containers.

1 Like

very informative, thanks!

A fine yet simple example here … unbelievably annoying… see below
@JimCarruthers @jeremy5 @julia.geisler @Helvetosaur @davidcockey

Here is a simple scene, viewport set to ‘rendered’ curves can be seen on the ground plane.

By Clicking the viability ‘on’ for a layer called “mesh” the content of the new layer can now be seen but the curves previously visible have now disappeared.

This is a 3 million face polygon photogrametry mesh imported from Metashape as obj. Should have no problem displaying this mesh plus whatever else I have in the scene from past experience but who knows…

Or maybe this is something to do with the viewport setting “rendered” …

It just seems really strange that the only thing I have changed is turning on a new layer and something else disappears … this seems very much like a hardware / software fault to me. A kind of glitch that simply should not occur.

This example is indicative of the types of problems I am getting on a regular basis.

Will continue to post more … or go and get a new machine … or change to auto cad and see if that’s any better.

Here is another RIPPER, that has been happening for the last 6 Months since I first installed the program … I thought to myself, na, this is just something I don’t understand about the program … Ill figure it out as I go along … check it out …

After clicking on the perspective viewport button I have on my custom toolbar the C plane just decides to flip 90 degrees and stand vertical in the scene

To resolve I simple click the (again on my custom tool bar because I have to use it that often.)

And move on with my life.

However this is yet another example of very strange behaviours that has no real possibility to be anything else other than

1. a miss understanding of how Rhino works (hence why I’m asking)
  2. Some sort of software conflict
  3. Some sort of hardware conflict / mechanofart
  4. An actual “Software Bug” which Id say is last on the list because it seems no one else if anyone is getting things like this happening regularly.