Irregular Triangle Packing?

Not trying to replicate this piece exactly but I do like how the triangles often meet at mid points. This was clearly handmade but I’m trying to take a crack at it in Grasshopper.

I created perforations below with delaunay triangulation but it doesn’t feel as organic, I don’t quite like how the points all meet at points. It’s too clean. I have RhinoNEST and RhinoCAM Nest, both are pretty powerful and I could generate several thousand triangles and give it an hour to optimize them into one sheet. I feel like that would get me pretty close and I could finagle the awkward gaps by hand, creating 4 sides polygons where needed (as in the above) but I’m not ready to give up on pure computation just yet.

Would appreciate appreciate any advice anyone can lend. Thanks

1 Like

There could be many ways.
Here I draw some triangles, rotate then then pack them very bad (number of pixels = 50)

Better packing (number of pixels = 500)

Then some Gilbert Tessellation to cut …
nesting triangles.gh (21.8 KB)

7 Likes

Maybe this help you, with Voronoi and NGon

tri pattern.gh (8.7 KB)

7 Likes

That is very interesting, thank you linking the video and gh but I’m curious about NGon 2.0 as I can only find NGon 1.0. Where did you download it? Food 4 Rhino has 1.0 listed as the most recent.

1 Like

Did you download the latest version from food4rhino?

It should be the one there on food4rhino. I think maybe @Petras_Vestartas might have either called it NGon 2 in the plug-in on accident or labeled it on F4R as 1.0 on accident.

1 Like

Just notice that there’s changes in the component compared as shown in the video… image

Just download the ngon plugin from food for rhino and open example files. I believe I documented these components.

I used old version; the new version have more components

I install the new version and i got the same error message, and the the 2 components don’t work like the old one

Can you open example files? I believe these components were work in progress at that time as I was helping my master students for their semester projects. Also if you have old version send the file, I can update your gh definition if it is not possible by you.

1 Like

Ok I see your video I will add output to the component.

2 Likes

I tried with the example but didn’t work with Delaunay mesh created from random points.
the file with the video and width is missing

@Petras_Vestartas @anon39580149 Thanks Petras. Do either you or Seghier have the older version in easy reach I could use in the mean time?

I have updated the ngon plugin and uploaded on food4rhino:

You can find sample file there:

6 Likes